Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
I've been reading up on starters. I was previously put off by the extra effort, since I'm occupied by pretty basic brews ( OG < 1.060, no funky ingredients pitching the packet or vial by itself is usually fine). BUT, now, I'm poor. Or at least I'm poorer than I was (wife is going back to school). SO, the 6-10 buck investment per batch in yeast has me taking another look at starters and splitting yeast them.

Is there any reason I can't just take a vial of fresh, unused yeast, build a starter, split it on brew day, pitch half and put the other half back in the fridge, make another starter, split it in two again, and so on ad infinitum? I'm thinking of it like the process to wash used yeast, but without using it first so it's least likely to have picked up wild strains or contamination. My brews are pretty much ales, so I would get some usage out of the same yeast over and over.

:tank:

I see no reason why that wouldn't work. The only cost would DME each time and, of course, your time. The only other con, of course, is you'd be limited to one yeast strain, so choose one that's versatile, or at least works well with the beers you plan on brewing. I harvest from each strain I have used, so after about 8 months, I no longer feel the need to buy yeast since I have NOtty, 04, 05, 1007, 2112 and 1010 all harvested. That pretty much covers the beers I make.

Yeah this is basically what ive been doing for over a year. I decant the starter, and save enough slurry to fit into one of those vials and re-use it next time. I have like 20 different yeasts and havent had to re-buy any in a long time

You could always wash the used yeast from a batch if you don't want to buy a new vial each time...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41768

I second washing/harvesting. I can get 6 pint sized mason jars filled (on average) with >100mL compacted yeast from a 5 gal carboy.

Ive been using 1056 and 1968 for the last 6 months. Only yeast Ive had to purchase was Weinstephanen for my Weissbier. Couple that with bulk hop purchases brewing has gotten cheap(er) lately :mug:

Latest posts

Back