Starters in Warm Weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldBunny

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Put up a yeast starter yesterday. Checked it this morning and had a massive krausen on top. I usually let my starter run for 3 or 4 days before cold crashing. My brew shop temperature runs from 72 to 75 degrees and I was wondering if I should crash sooner with the more rapid growth I'm seeing.

I would crash it now. I typically only let my starters run for 18-24 hours (until about high krausen), although sometimes longer if I haven't noticed any activity. You don't really want your starter fermenting out completely because the yeast will no longer be at it's peak performance.

Sorry, I disagree. You either pitch the whole thing at high krausen or you allow it to ferment out, crash it and decant. Crashing a starter early defeats the purpose of making a starter and most likely you are not getting the full cell count you were hoping for:)

72-75 is not too warm for a starter either, room temp is perfectly fine. I will say 3-4 days is a little long, my starters are generally fully fermented out in 18-24 hours easily. After they have fermented all you are really doing after that is beating up the yeast

24 hrs. is what I always do. If you're not pitching the beer from the starter, temp doesn't matter, as long as its within reason.

I'd say temp does matter some. For example, you wouldn't want to toss yeast at 40 degrees F into wort at 70 F. I think the best practice is to get the wort and yeast a little lower than desired ferm temp and let them come up together. A big variance in either direction can cause slow starts best case, incomplete ferms worst.

Everything went quite well. I got very active fermentation after 18 hours with a significant blow-off. One week later, it's still pushing a blub every10 seconds through my 3/4" blow-off tube. Switched to a fermentation lock for the remainder.

Back