Starter Step-up question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paully

Reaction score
Planning to make a 5.5 gal batch of IIPA. I had a jar of 007 that was probably just under a vial's worth of pretty fresh yeast (jarred on 3/1/13). Just pitched it into a 1L starter, and I plan on pitching that into a 2L starter once it's done.

My question is, is that too small of a step-up ratio? I've heard that too small of a step-up ratio can actually be detremental to your yeast, it could even hurt your yeast health and/or cell count.

Input?:tank:

Side question: Will one vial directly into 3L of starter yield roughly the same amount as a vial into 1L, then stepped up to 3L? I just want to know more about how starter step-ups work.

Step up just means making a starter, cooling it to pour off the beer, adding more wort repeat. 1st starter will grow yeast 100%, 2nd 50%, etc. You want to maximize the wort in each starter to maximize growth. There's a chart on Billybeer that'll help.

Back