starter size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfnturf

Reaction score
Hi all, I harvested some pacman from a Mocha porter and grew it to a 1L size. I can't brew for another week so I plan to store it in two pint size jars. According to mr malty I need a 1.15L starter for my dead guy clone @ 1.067. My question is if I take one of the pint jars and toss it to a 1150ml starter will that be roughly the # of cells I need? I'm guessing I'd be overshooting by a bit but not enough to cause concern, right?

That's what I would do. While I'm an advocate of the proper pitching rate, without equipment to count the cells, it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Overpitching slightly is not nearly as big of a concern as underpitching.

I'd just pour both pint jars into a 1.15L starter. Or, I'd just assume you have enough, make a small activator (like 500ml of 1040 wort) the night before, pour in both jars and let it get a good start for 18-24 hours and pitch the whole thing. You'll get some growth and they'll be VERY active.

Thanks for the response. I guess my question was if I could assume cell counts in one of the pint jars would be roughly equivalent to a vial of wlp. Based on the # on Mr malty I think its close enough.

probably close enough as long as the calculator says you only need 2 vials... remember, the longer you wait, the less viable the yeast becomes.

[I'd just pour both pint jars into a 1.15L starter. Or, I'd just assume you have enough, make a small activator (like 500ml of 1040 wort) the night before, pour in both jars and let it get a good start for 18-24 hours and pitch the whole thing. You'll get some growth and they'll be VERY active.
I decanted and pitched both jars into a new 1L starter. Activity was almost instant, within 90 min a thick foam was evident. I'm going to let it sit on the plate for about 20 hours then pitch the whole thing. I was just wondering if high krausen could occur that quickly on a restarted pitch. As of now, the level of foam has decreased a good bit

Back