Starter question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
So I made a touch over a two liter starter with 7.5 ounces of dme boiled for about 20 minutes chilled and threw in a tube of wlp001 yeast. Sat it on my stir plate Friday night and went about my business. Yesterday afternoon I walked by and notice the krausen was oozing out the top and still is this morning. I have made a few starters and never experienced this before!

Is this standard? Should I relax and have a beer or what? There seems to be a decent bit of yeast that's made it down the flask and hardened on my counter top! Hope there will be enough yeast inside the flask!!

Thanks

That happened to me the week. I stepped up the starter to another 2L but I was able to transfer some of that yeast to a sanitized jar for my next brew.

I was planning on using that yeast this afternoon for a stout I'm making!

I would say your good to go. 2L Starter on a stirplate is no joke even if you lost a little.

Pitch it at High krausen sir:tank:

Mr Malty says you need 279 Billion cells Which you would be able to produce with a 1.54L starter on a stir plate.

Mrmalty.com

Your good!

Daver77 said:
Mr Malty says you need 279 Billion cells Which you would be able to produce with a 1.54L starter on a stir plate.

Mrmalty.com

Your good!

I checked his site the viability of my yeast was like 77% I believe the date on the tube was 3-4-12.

its more like 71% I'll just have to roll with it unless I wanna go and buy a few tubes and throw them in with no starter per mr. malty :)

Is it Chico?

I always keep dry yeast in my fridge just in case. Either way let us know how you make out.

In the middle of my brew day anyone have thoughts about this?!

Probably over thinking it!!

One thing, In White Labs the date on there is the date it expires. How do you know the viability.

Back