Starter overpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
I have seen some information on these forums about calculating number of yeast cells but I can't find it now. I made a starter with US-05, I know it isn't needed, just for grins and to get some rapid activity.

I know conventional wisdom states that it would be hard to really overpitch but I wanted to check anyhow.

I made an 800 ml starter with one pack of US-05. It was about 1.040. I let it run it's course at 70F for one day (24 hours) and then crashed and decanted it. I then put another 500ml of 1.040 wort (DME) in the slurry the morning of my brew day and it was partying away within an hour. I poured that active slurry in my wort at 66F and within 90 minutes I am getting activity.

Any concerns of overpitching?

Technically you overpitched. Will you have any problems? Probably not. FWIW, starters with dry yeast is a waste of time. Dry yeast is ready to ferment (good cell count and nutrients) up to 1060, anything over just use more yeast. For best results, rehydrate before pitching.

Phunhog said:
I would say yes depending on the amount of beer and the SG. Use this.....http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
Even if you didn't overpitch why would you want yeast activity within 90 minutes?

Oh I forgot that part, apologies. 5.5 gallons at 1.050.

I was just experimenting/playing around with yeast actually. Trying to better understand working with it. I didn't even think about overpitching until I was done.

Technically you overpitched. Will you have any problems? Probably not. FWIW, starters with dry yeast is a waste of time. Dry yeast is ready to ferment (good cell count and nutrients) up to 1060, anything over just use more yeast. For best results, rehydrate before pitching.

Thanks! Good information!

An update: I apparently jumped the gun. I popped the top on the fermenter and I think the initial activity I saw was just temperature fluctuations between the wort and my freezer. I do not have any notable yeast activity yet.

From what I am reading, in the event of too much yeast it would most likely manifest in off-flavors from the too high temps of fermentation that would result. Since I am temp controlled, I am measuring the wort temp, I can't imagine the temps will be a problem.

Now I know! Thanks again folks!

Yeah, I know I don't NEED to make a starter for dry but never thought it would be a problem! Hahaha :drunk:

Back