starter overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I thought this might happen. First time I did a large starter (2000mL) and overnight it overflowed. Thank goodness I had it in a large container however I lost what looks to be about 200mL. The overflow solidified in the bottom of my large container that the stirplate was in. I am afraid I lost a lot of yeast. Should I still be ok with what is left, the 1800mL or so? We are brewing tomorrow night (Friday).

I thought this might happen. First time I did a large starter (2000mL) and overnight it overflowed. Thank goodness I had it in a large container however I lost what looks to be about 200mL. The overflow solidified in the bottom of my large container that the stirplate was in. I am afraid I lost a lot of yeast. Should I still be ok with what is left, the 1800mL or so? We are brewing tomorrow night (Friday).

I would cold crash, decant, and step it up just to be safe.

I dont have enough time to do that do i? Cold crashing takes a while and so does stepping it up. We are brewing tomorrow night

You can cold crash over night and step it up tomorrow morning. Let it ferment on the stir plate all day until ready to pitch.

dmbnpj said:
I dont have enough time to do that do i? Cold crashing takes a while and so does stepping it up. We are brewing tomorrow night

Then you're stuck with what you have and will know next time. You can certainly cold crash what you have now and pull it out when ready to pitch and decant tomorrow night:)

That means getting up early before work though!

And wont it just overflow again once i step it back up? I only have a 2000mL flask

dmbnpj said:

And wont it just overflow again once i step it back up? I only have a 2000mL flask

Buy another vial and pitch that with your starter.

Thats what i was thinking too. How can i prevent this in the future when making large starters? Do i need to buy a 5000mL flask?

Thats what i was thinking too. How can i prevent this in the future when making large starters? Do i need to buy a 5000mL flask?

I wouldn't do more than 1.5L starters with a 2L flask. Next time plan accordingly and step it up rather than doing a 2L starter.

If you decant you can step it up to 1.5L and you should have plenty of yeast for your beer. What is the expected OG?

Haven't tried it personally but have read of people putting fermcap S in their starters to keep the foaming down. Might give that a try to see if it helps keep it in the flask for next time.

I use fermcap when boiling my starters and I still get good krausen the next day. Most of what has come out would be krausen I think, still plenty of yeast left in your starter, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Brew away my friend.

BansheeRider said:
I wouldn't do more than 1.5L starters with a 2L flask. Next time plan accordingly and step it up rather than doing a 2L starter.

Please detail "step it up" for me?

Thanks for the help

dmbnpj said:
Please detail "step it up" for me?

Thanks for the help

Stepping up means you do the first starter, ferment, crash and decant. In a second pot you boil up a second starter based on the size needed, cool and add back to the first starter, allow to ferment and repeat if necessary it again, crash and decant to pitch.

Www.yeastcalc.com is a good site to use for making stepped starters when necessary:)

So do most of you use 5000mL flasks so they dont overflow like this?

I've only ever used a 2L, but they're not all created equal. Ones meant for brewing actually hold like 2.4L, ones meant for lab work only hold exactly 2L. Using brewing calculators even for my lagers I only have to make a 1.8L starter with a stir plate. If I didn't have a stir plate, I'd definitely get a 5L flask. Sometimes overflows happen, means your yeast is rearing to go.

Never had a problem with my 2L flask, but I buy yeast no older than a month. You always want fresh yeast so you don't have to make large starters. If you're making a high gravity beer you want the freshest yeast available to reduce your starter size.

I did use fresh yeast. Born on date 8/6/13. I used the yeast calculator and it said i needed to use a 2.11L starter. Not real high gravity. Making a green flash west coast ipa clone

dmbnpj said:

Use fermcap s for foam control.

Are you using a stir plate? I have not had any blowoff problems with 1.5L starters in a 2L flask with foam control and a stir plate. The stir plate keeps the krausen in check pretty good by itself and the foam control is the added insurance. I'm sure I could get up to 1.75L and not have any issues.

I forgot to put my starter in the fridge this morning. How long does it take to cold crash? My problem here is I wont get home until this afternoon and we are going to brew tonight. So I am hoping it can be done in about 6-7 hours??

I forgot to put my starter in the fridge this morning. How long does it take to cold crash? My problem here is I wont get home until this afternoon and we are going to brew tonight. So I am hoping it can be done in about 6-7 hours??

Just pitch the whole starter, a liter or so of already fermented beer won't affect taste in a 5 gallon batch.

dmbnpj said:
This is almost 2 liters though?

Again, you're kind of stuck, 6-7 hours will not crash all the yeast so you would be decanting off a lot of suspended yeast:(

You could chill the wort, seal it up and pitch in the morning as an option, personally I would not want 2 liters of spent starter in my beer

newest is my brewing bud is gonna make it home around noon-1 today so it might be able to cold crash for 8-10 hours...good enough?

dmbnpj said:
newest is my brewing bud is gonna make it home around noon-1 today so it might be able to cold crash for 8-10 hours...good enough?

I'll work but you won't get the best result. If you are content with that then go ahead. If you want to do it right and make better beer then wait 24 hours or so.

Bottom line. Is not the end of the world but you are short cutting yourself if you only crash for 8-10 hours.

You could chill the wort, seal it up and pitch in the morning as an option

This seems like a good option, is there any risk in doing it this way other than the possible exposure to bacteria?

dmbnpj said:
This seems like a good option, is there any risk in doing it this way other than the possible exposure to bacteria?

As long as you properly sanitize everything that comes in contact with the chilled wort and seal it up it should be fine. Not the most ideal but with the circumstances put forth it'll be fine:)

Here is a compilation of suggested options. Whichever route you go it will be fine.

1) Use the whole starter, as-is, that you have left, dumping the whole thing in. (Pro - easiest. Con - risk from spent starter 'juice')
2) Do a partial cold-crash from now (or whenever you can put the starter in the fridge) until your normal pitching point. (Pro - reduce the amount of spent starter 'juice' going into your wort. Con - you'll lose some yeast that hasn't had time to drop out of suspension)
3) Cold crash overnight and pitch into a sealed batch of wort from the day before. (Pro - best chance for starter cold crash, and subsequent highest yield of yeast. Con - risk of infection over night.)
4) Try to step the starter up. (Pro - more yeasties. Con - may not have enough time to get the yeasties going, so you will be adding more starter 'juice' to your wort - especially since you can't cold crash in this scenario)

My opinion: Option 2 is the best. I get freakishly nervous about infections, and with my luck I would forget to pitch the next morning, or I'd knock my starter over in an early morning fit of clumsiness. Plus, I am surprised that you're being advised to pitch 2.1 liters - seems like a lot to me. Especially since I've pitched multiple batches using only one vial or smack pack. My lag time was longish (see previous comment about freakish nervousness), but it worked out.

To your question about moving forward: I have a 1.5 liter flask and a stir plate. I'm also a cheap bastard, so I try to get max use out of each vial I buy.
Step 1) If I plan to brew on Saturday, I start a 1 liter starter going on Wednesday (Tuesday would be better, but that's Boy Scout meeting night) evening with about a quarter of a vial of yeast added. That will normally hit high kreuzen on Thursday or Friday.
Step 2) Decant the majority of the starter into another jar for cold crashing.
Step 3) I then do another starter wort which I pour on top of the rest of the starter from step 2. I let that go until I start mashing, and do a baby cold crash to get much of the yeast to settle out.
Step 4) I decant both containers so I minimize used starter 'juice' and pitch both into the cooled wort.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Here is what I think I will do. The starter is now in the fridge so it will be cold crashing until we pitch tonight. Also, on my way home today I am gonna swing by the brew shop and get another Wyeast package to use in addition to the starter. another $7 or whatever, oh well

Dude - you're over thinking this. There is PLENTY of healthy yeast in your starter. Don't worry about losing a little bit. Sounds like you got a very healthy ferment in your starter so just pitch what you have. I promise you that your batch will ferment just fine. However, I don't believe your cold crash will happen fast enough to allow you to decant. Just let it come back up to room temperature (or your pitch temp) and pitch the whole thing. Absolutely no need whatsoever to buy more yeast.

For the future (when brewing Friday night)...

1. Start starter on Monday night- no more than 1500mL in my 2L brewing flask
2. Tuesday night - cold crash
3. Wednesday night - decant and step back up
4. Thursday night - cold crash
5. Friday night - decant and pitch

Does this timetable give enough time for the yeast to grow? If not, I am thoroughly confused now because I have been told you don't want to keep your yeast on the stirplate for more than a few days at room temperature. With doing this starter in separate steps and having to cold crash (which I am lead to believe in this thread takes at least overnight if not more) twice, I don't see how the timeframe can work?

Back