Starter last a week at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hackaxle

Reaction score
I made a starter in my 6.5 gal bucket last Wed. I have been out of town until tonight so it has been a whole week and I am wondering if I can brew with it? The starter sat in my basement at 68 F:(

Haha no offense but that must have looked absolutely puny in that huge bucket. Did you take a picture?

ay259h.jpg
ask and you shall receive

It's not a great plan. That's massive headspace and an invitation for airborne yeast and bacteria. It's possible that the starter produced enough Co2 to make that not a problem, but certainly not ideal. People have gotten away with worse though, and it is what it is. Why not get a flask? You can decant off nasty spent this way either.

I'd drop some boiled DME in and wait a few hours to see what happens just to be safe. Ideally a starter makes sure ur yeast are healthy but brings the pitch rate up to handle the OG. Whats ur anticipated OG for the clone?

Not super high but high enough that a starter would be warranted. I'd just be worried that the yeast count fell back to what the original count was when you got it. I'd still say add some more DME and see what happens before u pitch it.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-6.html

Read the Brew-Fathers last line on this page. Again, just my $0.02

Perfect link, just what I needed thank you. Added some more starter so hopefully she takes off again and I can pour my wort in.

I boiled and cooled 1.04 wort and added it to the bucket. Just going to wait a few hours before I add my blue moon wort

Back