Starter for RIS, using harvested yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
I'm hoping to make my first Russian Imperial Stout (this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/russian-imperial-stout-2011-hbt-competition-category-winner-238807/) in the next week or so. The recipe calls for WLP002, so I recently made a pale with it as basically a 5 gallon starter. When I kegged it I swirled the yeast/trub/beer around and poured it all into a sanitized growler and stuck it in the fridge.

Two questions:

1. According to Beersmith 2, a 20 qt (5 gal) "starter" would yield 574 billion cells, 200 billion more than I need. Do you think I should still do a starter to wake the little guys up? If so, what size?

2. I dry hopped the pale ale in the primary with 1 oz. of Cascade pellets. I cold crashed before kegging, so that oz. of hops is mixed in with the yeast in the growler. I've washed yeast a number of times, but never after dry hopping. I'm assuming that I can just follow the standard washing procedures (add water, stir it up, wait 30 min, decant, repeat) to get down to good yeast. Is this correct? I normally wouldn't even worry about the spent hops, but considering that I'll be aging this beer for a good 5-6 months, I'm concerned that having that much vegetative matter in there for that long wouldn't be a good idea.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, the normal washing procedure should work just fine. Also, I don't think you need a starter. Just let them warm up while you brew, pitch when ready, and you should be good.

-AJ

Latest posts

Back