Starter for lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugenBrau

Reaction score
Oi have never made a starter for a lager before. Should I run that a lower temperature? I guess it makes sense to do so, but I never thought about it before. Thanks

I've made several lagers and have used different methods with the yeast and its worked every time. You can do a starter for lagers the same way you do it for ales. It doesn't have to be colder. I've also just rehydrated the yeast for about 10 min in some Luke warm water and I've pitched it right into the lager from the packet. All have work. Some methods just take longer to get going than others.

A room temperature starter is fine- after all, you're growing yeast and not making beer. Since my lager starters are much larger than my ale starters, I always make it early (like a week before brewday), so that I can decant off the spent wort. I chill the starter about 4-5 days before brewday, as it takes longer for lager yeast to flocc out and then decant before pitching.

I like to pitch my yeast when the yeast is 46-48 degrees and the wort is 48 degrees, and then allow it to warm up to fermentation temperature (usually 50). That seems to make the yeast very happy!

Back