Starter foamed over, add yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
My starter foamed over last night and I lost some good yeast. It's an english top cropping strain so a lot of the good yeast was pushed out the top.

Should I just buy another smack pack and pitch it with the starter? Would that be considered over pitching?

Thanks,
Zach

It is unlikely that you lost enough to be of concern unless you lost a good amount of the liquid volume. If anything do another round of starter wort. No need to buy any more yeast.

It is unlikely that you lost enough to be of concern unless you lost a good amount of the liquid volume. If anything do another round of starter wort. No need to buy any more yeast.

What I lost was thick yeasty stuff. Not just liquid/foam.

I need to pitch today, I don't have time to make another starter.

Again unless you started with something like a liter and now have 1/2 or less in the flask, I would say that your starter is good.

You could add some wort and let it run until pitching time. It may increase cell counts a little, and will feed the yeast and have them ready to go.

I've had that happen a few times. I know I lost a decent amount of yeast each time it happened, but I just pitched what I had and called it good. As far as I can tell, the beer turned out fine. Just pitch what you have left and RDWHAHB.

Back