Starter do you think it would be a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Lately I have been brewing a **** ton and wondering if it would be a good idea to make gallons of starter .040 With corn sugar And store it in jars in the fridge So that I do not have to make it a couple of times a week , Then just bring them out let's get to warm temp And pitch yeast? I was wondering by letting5 them set if I run the risk of infection?

Use DME instead of simple sugars or you'll risk selecting yeasts favoring cheap easy sugars which could lead to stuck fermentations.

I wouldn't worry that much about infections if you're storing for only a week, but I'd STERILIZE the jars, not just sanitize them, and you shouldn't tighten the lids too much to allow gas exchange...

Why not just make 5 gallons of starter and then drink the starter afterwards? You can still put the yeast in jars, just wait until you remove the spent starter wort .

Here is what I've done in the past: I make a couple gallons of 1.040 wort using plain DME. I then split that up into 1 litre mason jars, cap them with canning jar lids and boil submerged in water for 15 minutes just like if I were canning veggies. Those jars are then both sterile and completely sealed and I just store them in a cool dry place until its time to make a starter. Yes, I have to pitch yeast each time, but that's easy since I have my wort ready to go. Throw it on a stir plate the night before and am ready to go once my batch has cooled the next day.

Back