Starter cold crash help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I've had a starter going for over 24hrs and it's at serious krausen still. Can I crash for 12hrs in the fridge at this point to decant and pitch?

Now that I think about it since it's fermenting its already multiplied as much as it's going to right?

I'd just pitch it. At high krausen the yeast is as ready to ferment as they'll ever be. If it is a big ass starter and I have time I crash and decant. Most of the time I pitch the whole starter and the resulting beer tastes great.

Depending on how big of a starter it is, 12 hours may not be enough to completely crash it. How big of a starter and how much do you need for your batch? If it is a 2 liter and you only need 1.25 to 1.5 liters, I would just decant off into a sanitized jar the amount you don't need and cold crash that, then you can build a starter for that when you are ready to use it.

I'll be under pitching from the 2l starter I made according to my calculations, I can't do any bigger.

Just decant the spent starter beer when you take it out of the fridge. Leave enough of the starter wort over the yeast to cover it and leave it on the counter top so that it can warm up to your pitching temp. The swirl it up to get it all into suspension and ready to pitch.

I have a thin layer at the bottom but even being in the fridge it's still fermenting a little. Am I going to lose a bunch of yeast of I decant?

Must have got most of the yeast cause I had serious fermentation in less than 12hrs.

Latest posts

Back