Starter clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I need clarifications on various issues.
How do I make a 4L starter with two 2L flasks ?
From what Ive read I use 200g of DME and 2L of water with the packet of liquid yeast in one of the flasks. After two days or so do I pour half the starter (and yeast cake) into the other flask with water and DME and then add more water and DME to the first flask ? And wait another two days ?

Then, when it comes to pitching do I pour all the liquid off and pour the yeast cake in or pour the liquid in as well ?

After smacking the packet how long do I wait before adding to the starter ?

Can't answer the splitting parts.
But for the using portion yes, decant most of the liquid leaving enough to allow you to swirl up the cake, then pitch slurry (Cake+small amount of started beer)

For the smack pack, Smack it and wait until it swells tight. then pitch into starter I would assume. This will prove yeast viability before pitching it into the starter.

Thanks IrregularPulse. I used a smack pack on Wednesday night - I smacked it at about 14h00 but by 22h00 I was ready to pitch and it hadn't swelled much. I pitched it anyway. Needless to say its been 36 hours and its off to a slow start.
Can anyone tell me how to make a 1 gallon / 4L starter ?

Back