Starter Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago1948

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Belgian Strong Ale from WLP550 next weekend. I have not yet made a starter. What would you recommend as far as starter volumes and steps before brew day. Should I start with a pint, then add a pint on Thursday or should I make it larger? Thanks.

Edit: Batch Size 6 Gallons, target original gravity 1.070, no stir plate, 1000ml flask (or 1/2 gallon milk jug)

What is OG going to be? What size batch? How big of a starter can you make at once?

I would go with biggest starter you can make vs. stepping up many smaller ones.

Definitely check out the Mr. Malty calculator, but 1.5-2.0 liters will probably be where you land. I made a 5-gallon batch of Belgian Strong Golden Ale a few months ago with OG 1.072 and pitched a 1.5-liter starter.

It's really not necessary to step up a starter for that gravity. 1 vial of yeast will take off just fine in your 1-2 liters of starter wort.

You said you don't have a stir plate. If you have the time, shake your starter intermittently. Maybe every hour or two if you can. This will provide oxygen which is helpful for healthy cell growth.

You know though, I really hate Mr. Malty. I made a 90GP lager and it told me I needed 2.5g of starter. I pitched in 2 yeast packets and it took off like crazy. I make a 1qt starter with the ratio 2c water to 1/2c malt and I have never had a problem and my beer ferments very clean.

Back