Started My Starter Too Late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started my starter about 24 hours ago thinking it would be ready for this afternoon.:drunk: oops. So now that i am half way through my :drunk:mash i looked over at my flask and the yeast are not settling out. With the LHBS closed on sunday what should I do?

Right now all i can think to do is dump the whole started in the the fermenter and just hope for the best. Anyone else have a thought?

Just pitch it all. It's what's known as pitching the starter at high-krausen (maybe a little after "high" krausen since it's been working for 24+ hours, but the starter is still working, so more like semi-high krausen). You only really need to let it finish completely if cold crashing to decant before pitching.

Pitch it! I pitched a starter friday night that I had going for 24 hours, fermentation took off in 2 hours, very vigorous too.

thank you all for the help. i just pitched it all. It took a while for fermentation to take off tho. unfortunately i had a lot of blow off on the starter. i need to refine my starter technique. it is now happily bubbling away.

Back