Started my single vessel brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugenjapan

Reaction score
Started making my single vessel stainless brewing system. I only have one pic so far but I'll be adding more as I go. It may look a little funny with the flat bar rolled around the edges but that's for the outer cladding to go on for the insulation to go in between.

image-527090351.jpg

Damn. So you're going to brew and ferment in the same vessel? If so, how are you heating it? Electric?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks.. I have a bit more buffing to do.. Mostly just ornamental cause I already have it at 150 grit in the bigger portion of the cone and 240 in the smaller portion (it's actually 3 sections of cone welded together)

www.SpecificMechanical.com

Holy shyt, never heard/thought of it. So basically the conical part clamps on top of the kettle and then is inverted. Right? So how do you vent? I'm enthralled.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll probably make it with a tri-clamp connection so after I drain out into the wort chiller then pump back in and close a valve on the drain then invert it then I can clamp the pressure relief valve onto the tri-clamp that's connected to the drain.

Those welds on the bottom of the cone look quite nasty.

I know that commercial breweries go a long way to ensure their stainless steel equipment is spotless on the inside, with great attention to detail especially along the welds.

That is probably due to sanitation reasons. But then, maybe I got a wrong impression from the photo.

Anyway, I am interested to know how your fermentations go in the future. If you have the opportunity, I would invest the few extra bucks for an experienced welder to make nice clean welds for you.

It seems as if the main body of the cone is made from two sections (vertical - upper and lower section) welded together. That is how a proper weld in fermentor should look like.

I know that commercial breweries go a long way to ensure their stainless steel equipment is spotless on the inside, with great attention to detail especially along the welds.

That is probably due to sanitation reasons. But then, maybe I got a wrong impression from the photo.

Anyway, I am interested to know how your fermentations go in the future. If you have the opportunity, I would invest the few extra bucks for an experienced welder to make nice clean welds for you.

It seems as if the main body of the cone is made from two sections (vertical - upper and lower section) welded together. That is how a proper weld in fermentor should look like.
I would expect that he has some knowledge of brewery gear design/fabrication judging by the link in his posts.
hugenjapan - quick question on the unitanks that Specific Mechanical are building, is the cone angle 90 degrees (internal angle - never know which way you spec it :D)?
Cheers

Wow that is good stuff there. I wonder if you flip it around fast enough, that you can turn it into a centrifuge.

Thanks for the input. You can't even see the welds in the pics because it has been ground out. All your seeing is the colour from where the metal heated up where I welded. Btw I am an experienced welder I have been welding for 10 years and make these:ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401891297.417425.jpg every day. Ever heard of Oskar Blues brewery?

Unless you're talking about the outside of the cone.. That's actually a pretty good weld just looks dark cause it's not acided.. I'll take a pic of it now that it's acided

I agree, to me the outside weld looks mint, very even heat control. I think what he was referring to was possibly the reflection of the tricolver on the internal surface looking like unfused metal.
Soooo... what are the cone angles for those unitanks???

If anyone is wondering.. I am still working on this project on and off.. Just a few delays.. I will keep you up with (good) news as it comes

Saw this a long time ago. Keep it going. I havnt tigged yet but I have a welder capable and plan on makin my own vessels. Of course I don't have rollers etc to make sheet metal into cylinders but I suppose I could make those too.

Lookn forward to the finished product.

Back