Started my first 2 gallons of mead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Requiemm

Reaction score
Since I believe there is a law to the effect, I started a gallon of J.A.O.M. and followed the recipe to the letter. Starting gravity 1.133!

I also started a gallon of DisturbdChemist's Disturbed Meads #3- Cinnamon Ginger Mead with the following changes

4 lbs Clover Honey
3 Sticks of Cinnamon
few oz of Ginger
1/4 tsp K2CO3
1/4 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp of Fermaid K
Nottingham instead of the EC-1118 as it is what I had on hand.

Starting Gravity was a whopping 1.152! Obviously the Nottingham will not be able to bring it all the way dry and I know I might end up with a very sweet desert mead but what the heck.

EC-1118

I plan to add 1/4 tsp DAP & 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K at approx 1.100 and again at about 1.050 in order to try to help the Notty. Any thoughts? Or did I just waste this gallon?

IMG_0097.jpg

Last edited:
Mead is never wasted. Let it ferment. Do the staggard nutrients like you mentioned and see where it goes. If it findhes with two high of a gravity you have two options IMO. One is to make a stepped starter of a stronger yeast like lalvin k1v-1116 or ec-1118. Or you can brew another batch but use half the honey and let it run completely dry and then blend that into your sweet mead. Either way you can get a product you like I am sure.

Back