Started mash way too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
So I am working on my first AG after several PMs.

Doing BM's Cream of 3 Crops using Deathbrewers Stovetop AG method. Heated up 3 gallons to 168 for my 9lb of grain according too http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml.

It was way too high for a while, but after about 20 minutes of stirring or so I got it to 152. I think that my water before I doughed in was not mixed, and the bottom was hotter than the top water.

Anyways, how long does it take for your mash temperature to stabilize? I was expecting as soon as my grains to go in to have a stable temperature for some reason, but obviously its going to take a while to reach equilibrium.

And how bad would a heat above 170 be on the grain for about 10 minutes and then temperatures in the 160s for about another 10 minutes or so?

Still in the mash. I guess I expected it to take more like 4-5 minutes for it to stabilize instead of 20 minutes.

Basically after what point do you guys start trying to lower your mash temperature if it is too high?

how long at what temperature does it take to denature the proteins? I'm assuming its above 170 for more than 10 minutes, because that is how long people batch sparge?

Okay thanks, hopefully this beer will end up alright, not expecting the low attenuated version of biermunchers cream of 3 crop, but hopefully it will convert and ferment.

You managed to defy the laws of biochemistry!

Dough in at 200, temperature drop from the grains 20 degrees, probably 3 minutes stiring in the grains, maybe 5 or longer. Didn't recheck the temperature for another 5 minutes even though it didn't feel right, then dumped water into the tun while stiring the mash until temps came down to 155. Worst part, it was a club grew day!! We all learned something though.:p

So yea, probably longer than 5 minutes but time flies when the SHTF and you're trying to save a brew session. Wort fermented OK after I added amylase enzyme to the fermenter. Bought the last bottle they had at Family Fermenter!

Back