Start of week 3 and we're still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyTee

Reaction score
So the airlock is still bubbling at the start of week 3. Do I have wild yeasts wrecking up the joint? I'm going to head out on vacation starting tonight and when I get back Sunday, if it's still bubbling, should I take some action? If it is wild yeast, is this something caused by sanitation issues or do I need a better yeast?

Your airlock is not a solid indicator of fermentation. Have you taken a hydrometer reading? What was your OG? More likely than not, your fermentation finished a long time ago. I'd take a hydrometer reading and another tomorrow. If they hold steady and you're near your target FG you're probably ready for bottling (or in the case of a HG brew, racking to the secondary for clearing/conditioning). If you're not prepared for bottling, it won't hurt to keep your beer right where it is for another week or two either. :D

get the hydrometer out and test the beer. as stated, the airlock is NO indicator of whether its really done or not.

First of all, it will not hurt to let your beer set in the primary for 3-4 weeks so there is no need to panick if you don't have a hydrometer. Even longer if you keep it on the cool side of your fermemtation temps.

I have a Saison that is in the second week of bubbling and it is just now winding down. This particular yeast is known to reach it's FG after 2 or more weeks at high temps. I will probably keep it in primary for 4-6 weeks cooling it down to 60-65° and leave it at that temp until bottling it.

Just to provide an explanation of airlock activity, if your wort temps are consistant 24/7, airlock bubbling is an indication that the yeast is still chewing away at the wort.

However, if you have your fermentation temps fluctuating, the wort as it heats and cools will change the airlock activity. As it cools it will suck back, as it heats it will bubble.

If you really have an infection, well, all bets are off. I have brewed over 35 beers without every having an infection so I have no experience to pass on in this instance.

Back