Starsan stability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
Just want to report that starsan is rather stable and can be reused. I made a solution per instructions using warm chicago tap water, used it to clean 80 bottles, 4 carboys and 3 buckets over 3 weeks during which i kept it in plastic bucket (lid on but not snapped on) at room temperature. It was very cloudy from day1, i just measured ph using pro ph-meter and it was 2.9, i think if its below 3.5 its fine

Just want to report that starsan is rather stable and can be reused. I made a solution per instructions using warm chicago tap water, used it to clean 80 bottles, 4 carboys and 3 buckets over 3 weeks during which i kept it in plastic bucket (lid on but not snapped on) at room temperature. It was very cloudy from day1, i just measured ph using pro ph-meter and it was 2.9, i think if its below 3.5 its fine

I mix up a gallon of star san at a time, and have used it for months.

The only thing I have an issue with is I end up spilling it. I transfer it from bucket to bucket, pour it over the lids for the buckets, etc, and almost always spill quite a bit of it pouring it back into the 1 gallon jug I store it in.

I keep some star-san in a spray bottle too. It's been in there for a long, long time. I have no idea how long. The pH is very low, but I can't remember exactly what it is was.

Back