Starsan question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidAthlete

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for some thoughts on the need to let starsan dry before filling kegs or fermenter. Any thuoghts would be great.

Thanks

No, if it dries you have a greater chance of infection. It is meant to be used while still wet.

Never ever fear the foam! It makes a nice hat too.

DSCN2116.jpg

Don't fear the foam! I never let it dry before kegging and haven't had any issues.
-ZB

Like mentioned before, letting it dry would be BAD... If it has enough time to dry, it could easily be re-contaminated. I used to "fear the foam," but after a few batches realized that it truly is tasteless and odorless CRAZY ****!

ok, sorry for the vague first question. After many uses and loving it, I finally got around to reading the instructions. On the bottle it says to let it air dry. i then started thinking what are the health risks if you don't let it dry? As I have already ingested a crap load of it, is it something I should worry about or how much time do I have left. I'm happy its good for the yeast though!

Hearing the guy that designed the stuff on a podcast (Brewing Network I think), even if you don't mix it correctly, it won't harm you. I can't remember if he said you can drink it straight, but there was a lot of room from drinking as instructions say to mix to being way off. FDA rules for the ones that can't follow directions had to make it more safe than it needs to be.

The section on Charley Talley in the stickies section is the one I am talking about, didn't see it until after writing.

None, if mixed correctly you can drink it.

and I can vouch for this. It doesn't really have a describable taste, although the 'acidic bite' in coca-cola (that pepsi lacks) is a real good way to describe it.

Didn't make me ill, give me a gut ache, or even gas (though if you drank enough it'll supposedly make you kinda gassy).

never tasted this 'acidic bite' in any of my beers or wines or meads.

Don't fear the foam or the reaper - just use more cowbell on your next brew and you will be fine. Cheers.

and I can vouch for this. It doesn't really have a describable taste, although the 'acidic bite' in coca-cola (that pepsi lacks) is a real good way to describe it.

Didn't make me ill, give me a gut ache, or even gas (though if you drank enough it'll supposedly make you kinda gassy).

never tasted this 'acidic bite' in any of my beers or wines or meads.

Thanks for the insight. I know I have drank plenty and it seems harmless. Just thuoght it would be a good question since I didn't really have an answer.

Hearing the guy that designed the stuff on a podcast (Brewing Network I think), even if you don't mix it correctly, it won't harm you. I can't remember if he said you can drink it straight, but there was a lot of room from drinking as instructions say to mix to being way off. FDA rules for the ones that can't follow directions had to make it more safe than it needs to be.

The section on Charley Talley in the stickies section is the one I am talking about, didn't see it until after writing.

You CANNOT drink it straight. It's concentrated acid, it will do you bad.

However, when diluted down to anything within reason, it's perfectly safe to drink tons of.

Back