Starsan question. i.e. Did I screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbonnel

Reaction score
I recently racked two worts nd as usual used starsan in the air locks. After the fermentation slowed down I noticed that the air locks were low on starsan. I had dumped out my brewing day bucket as I pretty much used it up in final cleaning from the racking. Instead of making a new starsan batch, of which I only needed a few ounces to replace in the air locks, I figured I could just use a very small amount in a cleaned plastic cup (e.g. Red solo cup )with 8-10 ounces of water. Now I am concerned that because this was not the recommended dilution, and some may have gone into my beer, could there be health concerns in drinking the beer? (It tastes great by the way.). I try to tell myself that such a small amount, in water, in 5 gallons of beer is probably ok. But, my OCD won't let this go 😊

Thoughts.

I just found one of the podcast interviews with the creator of starsan, just haven't had a chance to listen too it.

I didn't even realize I could use this till I started searching this morning. I think I will use this if I don't have starsan available.

Yep I buy the cheapest crappy bottle of vodka, and I use it in all o my air locks for wine making and my new home brewing hobby.

Yup, its really nice to have on hand if you need to replace airlock content at any point. I often only have Star San on hand during my brew weekends, but if I need to say -- dry hop, or take gravity reading weeks later that isn't always the case.

Starsan will stay good for several weeks or even months. I make up a new bucket every other month so its always on hand.

Back