StarSan in Australia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieCider

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am making some cider at the moment and want to continue to make more. My current rig comprises of 2 1.5l glass carboys, so with a month or so in fermentation, I'm not getting a lot of cider for the time spent waiting. I purchased two 5l buckets today that I plan to ferment in. I know its still tiny, but it will make more than enough for myself for a little while at least. I want to make sure my buckets are clean and sanitized. I have been looking at using bleach, but that seems to be a bit of a PITA with all the rinsing. I love the idea of spraying some of this 'STARSAN" stuff on and being ready to brew. Problem is, I have never seen it in the land down under. Does anyone here know of a STARSAN equivalent in Australia, or somewhere where I could get my hands on some?

Thanks heaps in advance.

I am sure that you can obtain a contact sanitizer somewhere in the down under. Google NZ orAussie brew supply stores on you continent and you will do just fine. The active ingredient is common and available world wide. It doesn't have to be Star San name brand to do the job. And a generic chemical will definately be cheaper for a bigger quantity. Google "contact sanitizer", or "sanitizing chemicals" and you should get a bunch of hits, then filter it to your location. HTH.
Bob

If you cant get starsan, you can do the spray bottle trick is properly mixed Iodophor also.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will check those ones out for sure. Hopefully though, I will be able to find something that I can purchase over the counter somewhere near home. I used to work at a fresh chicken store, selling fresh chicken breasts, wings, and other assorted chicken stuff. We used to use a sanitizer there that was spray on, I am still friendly with the management people there, so Im sure I could ask them what they are using and possibly even buy some from them if it was suitable. Failing that, I am also going to ask my local home brew store.

Thanks again people!

Ok. I went to the place i used to work. Asked a friend of mine there about the spray sanitizer. She popped out the back and brought me out a bottle of it and told me i could have it. It says it is qauternary ammonium compounds, that it can be sprayed on, that it is for use in food processing equipment and that it is no rinse. Thoughts? Thanks.

The only reason people don't use Qaut (qauternary ammonium) more in homebrewing is cost.
Its used in commercial brewing a lot. It is a food grade no-rinse, it just tends to be expensive. Its also sold under the "Ensure" brand.

Ok. I went to the place i used to work. Asked a friend of mine there about the spray sanitizer. She popped out the back and brought me out a bottle of it and told me i could have it. It says it is qauternary ammonium compounds, that it can be sprayed on, that it is for use in food processing equipment and that it is no rinse. Thoughts? Thanks.

The other name I have heard it caled is QAC, there used to be a tank of it at a place I worked but it had since been decom'd (actually I think it just got shifted to their actual food grade plant not the "Food grade" plate). As above, if it's food grade no-rinse it's probably all good. I did see that it does work against fungi but Once it gets diluted by the wort I can't see it being an issue.

Cool. So, should I be diluting it to spray it? I am only doing small batches so I shouldn't need to use heaps. And by the seem of things, I could probably periodically get some for free if the right people are at the store to help me out. Todays bottle cost me nothing. The exact product is Jasol c2-sanitiser.

Thanks guys.

you'l have to look it up because we have no way of knowing if you have full strength or a solution.
you're looking for 200 PPM for a no rinse.

Back