starsan as a household sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I was making chicken for dinner, and while sanitizing my cutting board with bleach, I thought about using starsan. It would stand to reason that if Starsan can be used to create a sterile environment for yeast, it can be used as a household sanitizer as well. Does anyone do this?

I have never tried sanitizing my cutting boards or counter tops but I see no reason it wouldnt work. But my wife sprays down the tiles in the shower to keep the mold down and that seems to work.

I do this ALL the time as I keep my starsan spray bottle on the kitchen bench any ways - haven't died yet ;)

I never even knew people sanitized counters and cutting boards. I may have to begin.

I use sanitzer to clean my 2 years olds plastic toys. Between him and our friends kids putting them in their mouths and the dogs getting them I figure a good sanitizing every once in a while is a good idea.

It is a waste...

Starsan will work for a while but when it breaks down it becomes yeast/bacteria food, this is why it is preferred for brewing. Yes there is a thread about people Starsaning baby bottles and breast pumps. I personally would not do this because if you have ever left ANYTHING plastic/vinyl in starsan it gets a film on it...

The worlds best, cheapest spray bottle sanitizer, window cleaner and household everything spray is:

50% tap water + 50% distilled white vinegar

The wife uses this for EVERYTHING. It cuts through the nastiest stuff and smells in seconds and costs pennies compared to starsan. It does counter tops, windows, bathroom tiles, cutting boards, I honestly can not think of something this is not sprayed on that it doesn't out preform expensive cleaners, this will even kill cat piss odor! (Cats hate the vinegar odor however.) ... just keep it away from your brewery stuff!

Back