Star San V Iodaphor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWKBrewing13

Reaction score
I have been using Iodaphor for a while... havent had a bad batch because of it.

But, its stains.... Can be messy... Hate the smell.

I wanted to see if anyone has made a switch or thoughts of Which people on here prefer....

-Andrew

I switched from iodophor to star san (or saniclean) a couple of months ago.

For me they both work perfect. The only difference I have noticed is that star san doesn't stain, doesn't smell and doesn't need to be rinsed of.

So, why use iodophor?

I'd like to preface my reply here by saying that I am new to home brewing, but I have been told Star San is acidic, so what are the long term affects of using it? Has anyone noticed any adverse affects from using it or not? I could also be totally wrong.. not ruling that out.

I use both. Sometimes I alternate to prevent any house bugs from taking hold in the brewery. They are both excellent products, the two most highly recommended sanitizers out there. One is no better or worse that the other.

You mention that iodophop stains, well, undilluted starsan has been know to do the same thing to formica counter tops.

I'd like to preface my reply here by saying that I am new to home brewing, but I have been told Star San is acidic, so what are the long term affects of using it? Has anyone noticed any adverse affects from using it or not? I could also be totally wrong.. not ruling that out.

Star san is an acid like vinegar or lemonjuice or even water for that matter is.

It's nothing you really need to worry about.

Rather than fearing it, why don't you read up on it, I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, and one by a rep from iodophor talking about that and more-https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/ There's even the original basic brewing podcast with the creator of starsan that talks about it, and answers just about every question or worry you might have about that wonderful product.

I use both but prefer iodophor because it dumps out of my carboys without leaving tons of foam. I haven't had staining issues either but I always poor the iodophor into water and not empty containers

Star san is an acid like vinegar or lemonjuice or even water for that matter is.

It's nothing you really need to worry about.

Rather than fearing it, why don't you read up on it, I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, and one by a rep from iodophor talking about that and more-https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/ There's even the original basic brewing podcast with the creator of starsan that talks about it, and answers just about every question or worry you might have about that wonderful product.

Will do, to be honest it isn't me fearing it as much as it is ignorance of the product. I was just curious if anyone had experienced any adverse effects of it being acidic. Thank you for the link, I will check it out now.

one things about staining... ihave been told it needs 15 minutes contact time, not the 2 minuntes that is put on the label.

one things about staining... ihave been told it needs 15 minutes contact time, not the 2 minuntes that is put on the label.

What are you talking about? If you're talking about starsan, then you've got the whole "I've heard" thing mixed up. The contact time for starsan is actually LESS than the FDA mandated label time states. IIRC the label states 2-3 minutes but the REAL kill time is only 30 seconds.

You can find THAT info from listening to the podcast I reference in the previous post.

Same with any questions you have about IODOPHOR, I provided lost of info about that, including a pdf about sanitizing with iodines, AND a podcast from the makers of BTF iodophor.

Revvy: I was told for Iodophor. And no if i heard it from someone else I dont have it mixed up. It was bad information told to me, hence it being brought up in this post. I wanted clarification.

and yes..... got it. not mixed up now.

I wanted to see if anyone has made a switch or thoughts of Which people on here prefer....
-Andrew

I recommend having both. The Starsan bottle is convenient for measuring 2.5 or 5 gallons additions, while Iodophor is convenient for precisely mixing a smaller amount.

I usually use Starsan on brewday because I use higher quantities, and Iodophor when santizing a flask for a starter, or a funnel for a dryhop addition.

I use star san 95% of the time, but will occasionally use an oxygen cleaner like "1 step" for cleaning bottles.
Switching to star san has saved me a ton of money, as I keep a 5 gallon bucket of it on hand at all times.

I use both, but I keep starsan around because it keeps if you make it with distilled water. As far as I know iodophor is one-day use only,pretty much, but I've never tested it. I like them both and they both work great.

I use both, but I keep starsan around because it keeps if you make it with distilled water. As far as I know iodophor is one-day use only,pretty much, but I've never tested it. I like them both and they both work great.

Iodophor is a little longer than 1 day especially made with distilled water and stored in a sealed container like a spray bottle. Basically if it still looks straw colored it's ok to use. You can make it stronger to store, OR you can add a few drops of fresh iodophor to it to wake it back up.

I've had it stick around and be usable for a couple weeks if I push it.

I used Iodophor for years, but switched to StarSan a couple of years ago when I got back into brewing. I bought a gallon of it so it was cheap on a per ounce basis and should last me several years.

Star San is fine. The foam will not hurt anything. It's mostly tasteless (Although you can taste it if you drink a mouthful of diluted.) It doesn't stain. It's very cheap if you mix it by the gallon with distilled water and use as needed ( I like using a spray bottle for most everything)

IF you get some UNDILUTED Starsan on a counter or other thing it may stain it.

it won't hurt your beer if you pour some in it. The amount that is left on the sides of a drip drained container, like a carboy is nearly microscopic in comparison.

There is nothing wrong with Iodophor if you like having to mix it up more often and don't mind the eventual staining.

Iodophor is a little longer than 1 day especially made with distilled water and stored in a sealed container like a spray bottle. Basically if it still looks straw colored it's ok to use. You can make it stronger to store, OR you can add a few drops of fresh iodophor to it to wake it back up.

I've had it stick around and be usable for a couple weeks if I push it.

I'm having sanitation issues. I use idophor mixing it with tap water. Is that a problem?

Back