Star San THIS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Ive seen many a threads praising 'Star San' and how wonderful it is.
Ooooh its the nectar of sanitation, Oooohhh look at my Star San Afro, Use Star San in my airlock instead of cheap vodka...

Star San this, Star San that... If Star San is the be all end all of sanitizers, why not just brew WITH Star San as opposed to going through all of the troubles of boiling your wort and blah blah blah... Its tasteless and wont affect the taste of your beer (or so they state) so why not just make a big bucket of Star San, toss in your DME and some yeast?

Put that in your Star San pipe and smoke it!
-Me

I've used Starsan for mash and sparge water on an IPA, tasted great with a super awesome foamy head, hints of vanilla and lavendar, and that batch with it's foamy yeast nutrient had some killer blow-off. And guess what, it wasn't infected either. SO SMOKE ON THAT!!!

Ive seen many a threads praising 'Star San' and how wonderful it is.
Ooooh its the nectar of sanitation, Oooohhh look at my Star San Afro, Use Star San in my airlock instead of cheap vodka...

Star San this, Star San that... If Star San is the be all end all of sanitizers, why not just brew WITH Star San as opposed to going through all of the troubles of boiling your wort and blah blah blah... Its tasteless and wont affect the taste of your beer (or so they state) so why not just make a big bucket of Star San, toss in your DME and some yeast?

Put that in your Star San pipe and smoke it!
-Me

Somebody's been hitting the Apfelwein again.

Dude, you made a pipe out of star san??? I was going to do that, then put some dried star san dust in it and smoke it. I'm hoping the taste of the burning star san pipe wont screw up the tast of my star san dust...know what i mean? :mug:

I like a good brandy glass of it diluted as a night cap myself; If I REALLY want to have fun, I break out the 'shot' glasses :)

mmm STARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSANSTARSAN

Love that $hit!

Damn. My second 'attempt' ever was a partial where I accidently poured the cooled wort into my starsan solution instead of my clean water carboy. I dumped it :(

Damn. My second 'attempt' ever was a partial where I accidently poured the cooled wort into my starsan solution instead of my clean water carboy. I dumped it :(

You shouldn't have...at normal dillution, it would have been fine and the yeasties would have loved it....

Chuck Talley and several people on here have drank it with no problems...

You haven't ever bought any star san, have you? That stuff is way to expensive to make a 5 gallon batch....

Sure if you use 5 gallons to soak a carboy and then discard it.

I never make it 5 gallons at a time. I use a Tablespoon to make 2.5 gallons at a time. It only takes a couple quarts of it to sanitize a carboy, bucket, or keg as you only need to coat the sides with it once then drain back into your sanitizer bucket.

Add Starsan's biodegradability to the equation and it's much safer for the environment as well as septic systems.

What's so expensive about it?

Actually I believe Jamil has femented a wort that had half a carboy full of starsan in it and it turned out fine...

Starsanplefwein anyone???

Actually that was Justin on the brewing network. He dumped it though. Charlie Talley told him it probably would have fermented if he head pitched it as the Starsan actually breaks down and provides some nutrients for the yeast. How it tastes though...

I emailed the manufacturer of star san about my dilemma. Jon at Five Star said:
If it were me, I would start over
So that's what I did.

Sure if you use 5 gallons to soak a carboy and then discard it.

I never make it 5 gallons at a time. I use a Tablespoon to make 2.5 gallons at a time. It only takes a couple quarts of it to sanitize a carboy, bucket, or keg as you only need to coat the sides with it once then drain back into your sanitizer bucket.

Add Starsan's biodegradability to the equation and it's much safer for the environment as well as septic systems.

What's so expensive about it?

I just keep a running batch of it in my bucket. Use that to sanitize something, then dump it back in the bucket. When it starts to look cloudy, I'll add more concentrate. After a couple months, I'll mix up a new batch. A 32oz jug of starsan concentrate costs like $15, which lasts me most of a year.

If $15/year for sanitation is too much for you (and I did 39 batches this year), then you might need to look for another hobby. Like origami. Paper is cheap.

If $15/year for sanitation is too much for you (and I did 39 batches this year), then you might need to look for another hobby. Like origami. Paper is cheap.

What's cooler than a gold origami beaver. Nothing!

arts-origami-beaver.jpg

I just keep a running batch of it in my bucket. Use that to sanitize something, then dump it back in the bucket. When it starts to look cloudy, I'll add more concentrate. After a couple months, I'll mix up a new batch. A 32oz jug of starsan concentrate costs like $15, which lasts me most of a year.

I get over a year out of a quart of Starsan. I also fill up a 5 gallon water bottle with RO water from the Glacier Vending Machine at the local grocery store. It's great for quick items and filling my spray bottle. As long as it is clear, it's good to go.

Actually I believe Jamil has femented a wort that had half a carboy full of starsan in it and it turned out fine...

Starsanplefwein anyone???

insert 'jamil' for starsan in the op, and we have another rant all together... ;)

The golden beaver is evil!! At least with the golden nectar of Apfelwein my hangover goes away within a 2-3 day period (at worst)

The golden beaver is a lifelong affliction... Once its acheived, it takes it much longer go go away when I no longer want to use it.
As it was once said before - Its the Doorway to heaven and the gateway to hell.
And - Spend 9 months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
-Me

Holy poopsicles, what are you putting in the Apfelwein? I used to get bad hangovers that would last a whole day but never into the next. I took the advice of EdWort and drank loads of water and popped a few pills before bed and all I had in the morning was a little light-headedness.

Holy poopsicles, what are you putting in the Apfelwein? I used to get bad hangovers that would last a whole day but never into the next. I took the advice of EdWort and drank loads of water and popped a few pills before bed and all I had in the morning was a little light-headedness.

Well, its not exactly what I put into my Apfelwein as so much as how much Aprefelwein I put into me.

Racked a 2QT pitcher and a 1GAL jug off of the primary aged for just over a month. Big mistake was bringing my beer stein with me to drink it out of.

1 pitcher and half of the jug later, I found myself awaking halfway between the bathroom and my bed.

I think the chastisement that I endured from the war department added greatly to my misery as well.
-Me

So you drank almost a gallon!!!!! I think my adventure last week was just shy of four pints of it after a bottle of Hob Goblin. Try cutting it with Hob Goblin next time, you'll be fine. ;)

So you drank almost a gallon!!!!! I think my adventure last week was just shy of four pints of it after a bottle of Hob Goblin. Try cutting it with Hob Goblin next time, you'll be fine. ;)

Oh yessir, I TOTALLY concur with this!! I made the mistake of
A. Putting myself in a situation I really didnt want to be in to appease the war dept. (Friends of hers I dont exactly care for)
B. Listened to them when they said "Hey, get Shane drunk! Hes really funny then!"
C. Did not respect the Apfelwein as it should have been. It is NOT beer and gives you little to no warning when you are about to go plaid.

Yeah, valuable lesson learned... And it sucked...
Ugh...
-Me

I was telling a friend a while back about StarSan and he didn't believe me that it was non toxic so I drank a shot of it just to prove it to him. He just looked at me like I was crazy. My wife has started to think I'm like the guy on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" that uses windex for everything but instead I use StarSan. SWMBO always had trouble with mold growing on the top of her strawberry jam that she canned every year so this year I told her to spray all of the jars with StarSan before canning, and guess what? No mold, I was like "ha I told you so!".

I was just thinking of using it to sanitize my cats water reservoir this morning when I refilled it (bad city water gunk buildup). Then I saw this thread. So should have.... Next time

Oh man, last time I had a Star San trip (it IS an acid, you know) I saw laughing gnomes for three stinkin days! They just popped out of nowhere, man! Laughing then fleeing. Laughing then fleeing. Laughing then fleeing.

Latest posts

Back