Star san storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingbound

Reaction score
I recently came into possession with a 5 gallon hdpe 2 plastic bucket with a lid. I was thinking I could use it to store starsan but I have no idea of this is a good idea or not. So if I do use it to store starsan about how long will it be good for? I know that if it gets above a certain ph that it is no longer effective but I just didn't know about how many uses I could get before it gets dumped. Also let me know if this is a bad idea and thanks in advance.

I store Star San solution for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks in the bucket I use. How long you can store it will depend, a lot, on how you use it and the water used to make it.

Thanks for the reply. If it's worth it, I wouldn't mind buying bottles of distiller water, but if it is still good from the time I sanitize my fermenter to the time I sanitize my equipment for bottling using starsan made with tap water, then I see no reason to use distilled water.

Buy the 16 or 32 ounce bottles of Star San and you probably won't care so much about saving it like that. Plus, only mix as much as you need at a time, and keep a spray bottle of it at all times. I normally mix only 2.5 gallons at a time. I either top off or refill the spray bottle each time. I just use tap water where I am. The water where I live now is MUCH better than where I lived before. If the Star San gets cloudy, soon after mixing, check the PH level. I won't buy water for anything. I do have a kick-ass water filter system under the kitchen sink for all my drinking, cooking, and brewing water needs.:rockin:

Buy some pH strips, and check every few weeks (or just before you brew again). Starsan sanitizes by having a pH of 3 or less. If it goes over 3, ad a bit more in and mix. I keep a keg filled with per-mixed starsan the same way as you're thinking of using a bucket. It keeps very well.

Back