Star San solution in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pumpkin ale in the primary with a blowoff tube sitting in about 3 cups of star san solution. Its been in there for 2 weeks now. I just moved the vessel to take a sample (for gravity reading) and about 2 cups of the solution was sucked back up into the tube and ultimately ended up in the beer. Is this a bad thing? Will it kill the yeast, impart and off flavors, etc.?

It really is unknown at this point. How do you know the effectiveness of the StarSan after two weeks. I believe that if the PH has risen above 3 it loses its killing power, therefor you have a somewhat low risk of bacteria being introduced into a beer that does have alcohol.

At this point nothing you can do but wait it out.

Whats the best practice to prevent any type of solution from being sucked back into the fermenter?

Use glass.

_

I have an IPA in the carboy that I finished up last night, and I heard a really weird noise around 4am. I went to go check it out and my airlock was full of wort! I quickly took off the airlock and replaced it with some sanitized siphon tube from earlier and stuck it into a glass jar full of water/vodka. When I woke up later this morning that jar was full of krausen and had overflowed into the tub I had placed it in prior. I swapped the vodka/water jar for one with some boiled water/sanitizer, which is now doing the same thing. I dont have problem swapping out the jars, but I just want to make sure that none of the sanitizer gets sucked into the fermenter.

Either the stopper or the glass are both ways to prevent, although I would argue that if you already have plastic, the simple desire to prevent suckback probably isn't enough to justify going to glass. :D

I use a solid stopper when moving my better bottle anywhere. But another point in this case is that 3 cups is a lot of volume, and you don't need that much to create a liquid seal. I've been running my blowoff tubes into a mason jar with an inch or two of starsan, so i've got at most a cup of liquid.

One one of the old episodes of The Session, Justin was telling Charlie Talley, one of the founders of Five Star, about how he racked 3 gallons of wort into a carboy with about 2 gallons of starsan before realizing he hadn't emptied the carboy. Charlie said he thinks it probably would have fermented. So I'm guessing you're ok with 2 cups into a 5 gallon batch.

Back