Star San Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use star san as my sanitizer. I love it, it works great. I did read today some where that it will keep for a while (like days or weeks) before it goes bad. I am used to mixing it up, using it for the day and then dumping it, or keeping the bucket for my blow off tube and then dumping it. How long will it keep before it no longer sanitizes?

If you mix it with distilled or reverse osmosis water it will keep indefinitely. As long as it is not cloudy and the PH stays below 3.0 it is good. I usually end up tossing mine due to excessive dirt or bugs getting in it long before it could go bad.

If you are using tap water, and it is fairly hard, the storage life decreases, in some cases with very hard water to just days due to the buffering capability of the water fighting the low PH requirements of the starsan.

It depends on your water profile. Many say when it starts to get "milky" or hazy, it's time for a fresh batch.
I bought the big bottle and just make a fresh 5 gallons on every brew day. I store it in jugs for bottling/kegging and yeast-work. We always keep the spray bottle topped off. But as much money we spend on this hobby -- just make a fresh batch when you need to. It's not that expensive.

That was my thinking that it wasn't that expensive, but I am also kind of sick of mixing up 3 gallons to test my batches of beer to sanitize my wine thief and then pitching it. I normally have pitched it after one day. You are right. It's not that expensive. Thanks guys.

How do you determine the ph level?

ph test strips
yhst-54498638592372_2159_49152695.gif

Back