Star San Overdose Levels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I just kegged five gallons of a beer I was/am really excited about. After the transfer, I realized that I hasn't poured the sanitizer out before putting my beer in. I usually leave about 1/4 cup of sanitizer in the bottom of my kegs after cleaning.
The msds says it's safe to 300ppm. Given 1oz to 5 gallons of water, that's a 1/640 concentration thay was in the keg. Then i go 1/4 cup to 5gallons of beer, and it comes out to something like 1/12800. Still not 300ppm. Thoughts?

1/640 of 2 oz (1/4 cup of diluted solution) is .003125 oz. Divided by 640 oz (5 gal of beer) gives a concentration of .00000488. Multiplied by a million is 4.88 ppm.

All the math is making my head hurt.

In other words, you would need more Starsan than beer to make it come close to being dangerous.

All the math is making my head hurt.

In other words, you would need more Starsan than beer to make it come close to being dangerous.

Going by the 300 ppm number he gave you would need about a gallon of the keg to be diluted Star San solution. It's all moot when you consider one of the founders of Five Star Chemicals drank a glass of diluted Star San to prove it was safe, I believe on a Brewing Network podcast.

Back