Star San Newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I have my first bottle of star San on its way and I have a few questions about my overall sanitation technique. My current method is a dry powder no-rinse mix from my LHBS. But since it's only scaled to mix in the gallons at a time ratio (and 30 min contact time) I only mix a 5 gallon sanitizing batch on boil or bottle day. This means I never have have the ability to sanitize equipment for a SG sample. Hence why I'm switching to star San with a spray bottle.
So what is the common technique for sanitizing with star San. Does everyone still make a full 5 gallon batch and submerse all the long equipment like racking cane? Or do they only make up a gallon or two in the fermentation bucket and swish it around real good and pour through longer items that can't be submersed for a minute or two? Do you also have a sanitized tray to set all the equipment on once it comes out of the solution?

I make a big tub of it, about 7-8 gallons at a time that I can toss things in to soak. Sure, it wastes a bit, but when you average out the cost of it over an entire bottle, it's very cheap.

I also keep a spray bottle of it that I use for small things.

I make a 5 gallon bucket of star san and briefly dip everything that will contact cool wort into it. To sanitize my fermentor, I use a funnel and pour a gallon or so from the reservoir into the carboy, swirl it around so that every surface gets contact, then pour it back into the bucket. I waste very little star san and my 5 gallons will last me several months. I have purchased exactly 1 bottle of star san since 2014, it can go a long way. I only use the spray bottle on small things, like my temp probe during chilling, and my spoon to whirlpool. There's also no need to sanitize your SG equipment, since you shouldn't be putting the samples back into the fermentor anyway. Just make sure you sanitize everything that's going to touch the wort after its below 140 degrees.

You also don't need more than a few seconds of soak time, since the residue will continue sanitizing while its dripping. You also don't want to let anything fully dry after using star san because then it's not sanitized anymore.

I also have access to PH strips. Is it true I can keep a 5 gallon bucket as long as the PH is 3 or below?

I also have access to PH strips. Is it true I can keep a 5 gallon bucket as long as the PH is 3 or below?

yep

you should know that pH strips are inaccurate though. They consistently read ~0.3 low, so if it's even close, just throw it out. I measured my last batch and it was at 2.3, so it was well within that limit.

I keep a keg of starsan mix to use with sanitizing kegs. I'll push a couple gallons out to a bucket then use with a spray ball to sanitize fermenters (or pump directly into a carboy and shake) then put it back into the keg.

I keep a small pressurized garden sprayer for small items. About every 6m-1y it needs replacing because the acid ate either the spring or the spray nozzle.

do you guys cover the bucket of star san mix when you are not using it, or just leave it open?

I make 2.5 gals at a time and keep it in a 5 gal bucket. I keep it covered when not in use. I fill my spray bottles from that bucket. I used to use test strips to see if it was still good and found that the pH never changed and it was still good over a year later. Now I only dump it out if I do something that makes it dirty or dingy looking, otherwise I just keep using it without worrying.

I make up a gallon in a turkey roasting pan on bottling day. I leave sanitized items in the pan and get them when needed. Then keep it in a closed jug until next brew day (usually 2 - 3 days later) and re-use it. Long items get dipped as much as possible, then wiped with a star san coated wash cloth. Fermenter/bottling bucket get wiped with the wash cloth. Like you are planning, I use a spray bottle for taking gravity samples, spraying around the lid and the cup I use to dip out the sample.

I just pulled out a sample from my fermenter over the weekend using a thief.

What I did was pour some star-san solution in a small ice-cream bucket. I usually keep a gallon or so of star san already made up in a gallon water jug. I poured a couple inches into the bucket, and put the three pieces of the thief into it. I let them sit for a couple minutes.

I also have a spray bottle of star san. I sprayed the top of the fermenter and the airlock and stopper, made sure my hands were full of star san (from the bucket), then assembled the thief. Sprayed the outside once more w/ star san. With my left hand I removed the airlock/stopper, then put the thief in with my right hand. Couple of times with the thief and I had enough.

I set the thief aside, sprayed the stopper/airlock again w/ star san, sprayed the opening, then reinserted the stopper.

I also use that spray bottle when I hook up lines to my kegs (spraying inside the connector, plus spraying the fitting.

That's what I do.

Back