star san mothball smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi all,
To start, i racked a munich helles from my fastferment conical after 3 weeks at 50*, and then up to 68* for diacytel rest. At 4 weeks when i was going to rack to keg, i gave it a taste, and it had a strange metallic taste. After scouring the web for possible reasons, (improper storage of grains, contact with metal etc), i decided none of it was the reason. Its the same system i have been using for 2 years or so. I then racked a kolsch from my other fastferment, and the same thing. So now i am freakin out, what the ^$#* is causing this. So during my search of every step i use during brewing, i happen to smell my dollar store pump sprayer that i use for my star san, and it smelled like mothballs, not good.I have been using the same sprayer for about a year. I did not taste it, but it smelled like it could be the culprit. I have never tasted mothball water, so not sure if it has a metallic taste or not.

Has anyone else had this problem?:confused::confused: I am hoping that the metallic taste in beer will go away with age/conditioning.

But in the meantime, i also brewed up a belgian wit beer from cultured yeast from bottles of hogarrden, and it is fermenting as we speak. I havent tasted it yet, as it has only been 5 days.

Any insight would be appreciated

Latest posts

Back