Star San mix ratio...what do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of Star San...I had been using One Step

The back says 1oz to 5 gal. That's seems pretty diluted. Is this stuff really that concentrated or is that dilution needed to keep from killing too much yeast?

That is the correct dosage. In smaller amounts, use 6 ml per gallon. Also it's easiest to use a small syringe from the pharmacy for measuring.

StarSan is a wet contact, acid, sanitizer. Once it's been in contact for a minute, you dump it out of what it's in. Even if you just spray the inside of something, you let the excess drain out (don't fear the foam) and then use as normal.

Depending on the size bottle you bought, it will have different graduations on the part you squeeze it into before pouring into the water it will mix with. I typically mix up 2.5-5 gallons at a time in a graduated bucket/container (with lid). With filtered/clear water it lasts for a good amount of time (depending on how you use it).

For mixing small amounts, use something like these. 6ml per gallon, 1.5ml per quart.
0044cfce-ba57-4846-91c0-b4da2ca9bccb.jpeg

BTW, smaller bottles of StarSan are graduated 1/4 and 1/2oz. The larger bottles are [typically] 1/2 and 1oz graduations. Not to say you can't guestimate between those. ;)

I make 5 gallons at a time for sanitizing kegs. I buy the starsan in the 32oz bottle with the twin neck measure and pour design, super convenient it measures out one ounce at a time.

ok I get it...just follow the instructions...

I just asked since it seemed like a very low ratio and very diluted...

FWIW it doesn't seem to have any of that "foam" that's always mentioned.

Dump it from one bucket to another and you will see foaming. I've never seen it not foam when agitated.

Rinse out a carboy or bottle with it. You‘ll get some foam to not fear.

One cool thing I’ve noticed is how, when you get PBW on your hands and you can’t rinse that soapy feeling off. Stick your hands in the Starsan bucket and *boom* - it’s gone.

Last edited:
I only make up 2 litres at a time, 3ml of Starsan to 2000ml of water. It does a whole brewday, then I pour it back into a 2 litre plastic bottle and use it again for bottling approx 2 weeks later. Then I top up my spray bottle and ditch the remainder. I use a 0 to 5 ml measuring cylinder and a disposable pipette to be accurate with the dilution.

Last edited:
Rinse out a carboy or bottle with it. You‘ll get some foam to not fear.

One cool thing I’ve noticed is how, when you get PBW on your hands and you can’t rinse that soapy feeling off. Stick your hands in the Starsan bucket and *boom* - it’s gone.

I keep a bucket with some old starsan in it for just this purpose.

BTW - I used RO or distilled water to make Star San. It doesn't get cloudy and seems to last longer that way.

I keep a home depot bucket that I drilled a spigot into full of the dilution on the shelf.
Every brew day I fill a spray bottle or two. Lasts a good long time.

I also have a corney keg that is dedicated to Star-san. I push from that into a keg, into the next, into the next etc.. then back into the original keg with CO2 on keg cleaning day. Then I have sanitized O2 free(ish) kegs ready to fill.

I tend to refill the bucket every eight or so months and the keg every 18 months or so(one a month 10Gal brewing I tend to clean 12 kegs at a time every 6 months or so). I suppose I could invest in ph strips or something and maybe be more efficient about it..

Think of it this way. If the manufacturer wanted to sell more product, he probably would recommend a higher concentration. So this is probably the highest, still safe and effective, concentration they can recommend (while also remaining commercially competitive).

Back