Star San made bottles slippery what will this do to the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been tring to find a sanitizer I like. I have used bleach, Iodine-bsaed, b-brite and now I tried Star San to clean my bottles for a 90 min IPA I just bottled. I added 1 oz to my bottleing bucket and rinsed all bottles and hoses in there. I then let all equipment dry on my bottle rack for a couple of hours. Then I bottled as normal. I noticed that my bottles were slick on the outside. I did not rinse them as it says on the bottle of star san to let them air dry. I tasted this batch and it is awesome! To bad I made it for a buddy as a birthday present :cross: Is this slick stuff going to affect the taste of this beer. It has only been in the bottle for a few days so I won't try it for another couple of weeks.

Thank you!
Tom

You should let StarSan air dry when used as a final acid rinse.
For sanitizing bottles and equipment for use, you should use it "wet" after 30 seconds of contact.

Ed

Back