Star San and small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale1

Reaction score
So I am a newbie and have limited space so I am doing one gallon batches.I bought Star San and found the ratio to be 5 gallons of water to one ounce.the math is ready enough for 2.5 to half an ounce, but that is still more than enough for my equipment. So how long can I keep my start San mixture? Can I put it in the refrigerator for the next batch?

If you are using RO or deionized water, Star San remains effective in a closed container until it becomes cloudy. A pH test can be used to confirm solution stability, if you are OCD.

No need for ocd here,I feel that I am one of the more lax brewers on here.So no need to keep chilled? Just a sealed container?

No need for ocd here,I feel that I am one of the more lax brewers on here.So no need to keep chilled? Just a sealed container?

I'm not even sure sealed is necessary, but I keep my Star San/distilled water mix in a five gallon glass corny with a solid bung in a roughly 60-70°F environment, and after three months and about a dozen batches of beer the ~3 gallons that was left was still clear and measuring pH = 2.95 (high limit is 3.5)...

Cheers!

There is a guy on YouTube I believe his name is Immolatius (he is a friend of CraigTube) that did a good test with Star San and having it around for 6 weeks in open and closed and different water types. It was a good vid check it out.

I buy a gallon of distilled water and mix the Star San right in there. Just label it with a sharpie and you're good to go. Pour some as needed and pop the cap back on. Store at room temp. It'll last months; no problem.

I buy 10 gallons of distilled at a time from my supermarket at $0.39 a gallon - I use the water for starsan and brewing. I have a 1gal glass jug. For Starsan, I funnel a gallon into the glass jug, use a oral syringe from CVS ($2.99...holds up to 10ml) to measure out 6ml of starsan, and then squirt that into the jug and shake.

And get a spray bottle. Fill it with the distilled water / starsan solution. It'll stay good indefinitely and is AWESOME for incidental needs like taking samples. Remember, you just need wet contact time, not submersion.

Back