Stalled initial fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenLion

Reaction score
This past Sunday (4.24.11), for my third cider attempt I pitched a packet of nottingham yeast into 4 separate 1gal glass jugs of cider. For the first 48 hours my house did not have heat (I live in SF, though, so it probably didn't drop below 50 degrees) and there was little change in the jugs. After getting the heat fixed Tuesday, and approximately 65 hours after pitching, 3 of the four jugs now have good amounts of krausen and are bubbling away. The fourth bubbles only once every two to three minutes and has no krausen. Its gravity has dropped .007 points from the OG.

So my question is, should I just give the yeast more time to kick into gear, given the evidence of some fermentation? Or would it be helpful to transfer some of the bubbling cider to this jug? I understand there is a small risk of infection with transferring, but otherwise I'm wondering if that would provide a good boost.

The ciders are all different brands and are all pasteurized, but have no preservatives (at least none listed on the label). If it matters, I just used the dry powder from the nottingham packet divided in quarters and did not make a starter.

You should just let it go. All of your jugs are fermenting even the one that is going slow. It will pick up as the active yeast multiply again and again. If there was NO activity it could be a different story, but you have some bubbles and change in sg.

Also, just rehydrating the yeast in a little warm water goes a long way to speed up fermentation time and prevent against stressed yeast. I used to just pitch dry but from what I have read and how easy it is I now always rehydrate. I want to start my cider out right, with a healthy breakfast so it has the energy to take on the day;)

Apologies about triple post. It didn't look like it was working on my iPhone.

Latest posts

Back