Stalled Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccumath

Reaction score
I brewed Biermuncher's Blue Moon clone approximately 3 weeks ago, and it stalled out before reaching an appropriate FG. It is currently sitting around 1.020-1.022.

I had a OG of 1.052, used WLP400, no starter (stir-plate was still being built at this time), mashed at 154 degrees. My lowest temp on my sticky thermometer was 63 degrees the first week, and so I moved it upstairs and fermented at 70 degrees for another 1 weeks, then racked to secondary for another week in an attempt to jump start the yeast. No go...

I have looked around, and it seems that you can re-pitch to another yeast cake, attempt to pitch another yeast, or add beano. My question is, what would be the best option, as I don't think I am going to brew for another couple of weeks. I could make a starter and add that to another vessel and rack to that and see what happens... Pretty sweet, would like to dry it out a bit... I suppose I could just keg it an see what happens. What would you guys do?

Any help would be appreciated - I have not had a problem with other yeasts (including dry or wyeast smack packs), but I am sure that a starter would have prevented this issue (not going to be an issue in the future with my new stir plate). If you need other information (i.e. recipe, technique, etc.) let me know.

Thanks,
Ryan M.

Looks like you did everything right (except for the starter), so I'd just keg it. IMO, tinkering does more harm than good.

That said, has anyone had success re-pitching yeast when stuck at 1.020? I don't recall seeing many sucess stories doing that.

Thats kinda what i figured. Oh well all good. Will cold crash it this weekend, and keg after i finish the bavarian hefe that is on tap now.

Back