stainless shank sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
what size shanks are people using on their kegerators. I have a standard upright fridge that Im going to order to taps for. Do i just measure the door? If so its a touch under 3 inches?

thanks!!

Chrome plated brass is a better shank for a kegerator because brass is a much better heat conductor than stainless and will do a better job of keeping your beer faucet cold. Also, you need the shank to protrude into the fridge a inch or more for the same reason.

You need a 4" or 5" shank.

Thanks, it seems like most of the shank combos come with a 4 inch shank.

I use 4" in my standard fridge. Stainless shank. The mass of a larger shank keeps the beer in the line end colder than a shorter shank. I modified my door so that the shelves in the are removed and it is completely flat to maximize keg room. so I probably only needed a 2" shank, but went larger after making sure the kegs would fit how I wanted them.

I would probably go 4" for a 3" door.
:mug:

Awesome. I'm thinking 4 inch. I'm going to cut away some of the plastic molding on the inside of the fridge. I saw a deal where u can get 2 575ss's with a 4inch ss shank for 132$ taxes and delivery.

Back