Stainless Folding Table for Brew Stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enormous13

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm finally moving off the stove top and out into the garage to do my brewing. First things first, I need a work surface to do so.

I do 3 gallon eBIAB, with the occasional 5 gallon batch, on my 8 gallon MegaPot. I've got a pump for re-circulation, and a controller. Nothing complex. https://i.imgur.com/zFXHeGi.jpg?1

I'm extremely limited on floor space in the garage, and honestly I just can't build/buy a permanent stand/table, there's just no room for it. So, I thought of using a folding table that can be stowed away easily, and I wanted stainless steel. I came across this on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EGQ1QA6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Question here is, does the 400+ lb weight rating inspire confidence that I won't be dumping 3 gallons of boiling wort all over me (in the case of the table failing)? Also, if anyone has any other ideas on the matter, I'm open to hearing them. I just want something thigh to hip high, that I can store out of the way, that will give me adequate work space during a brew day.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, so the table doesn't act as a big heat sink for the kettle, I was going to purchase one of these to place under the kettle/on the table:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXCFG1I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

or, I may just insulate the whole kettle, including the bottom, with a couple layers of reflectix. I'd rather not, but it is a possibility down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if you start with 8 gallons pre-boil you are at about 40 pounds... What does your equipment weigh? Certainly not 400 pounds!
Gallon of water weights like 8lbs, so 8 gallons would be more like 64lbs. Plus equipment, maybe another 20lbs, and random stuff like ingredients and additions, so at the high end we're at like 90lbs.

I understand that's way under the stated weight limit, however, we all know that stated weight limits tend to be vastly overstated. Just wondering if brewing on a fold-out table like this is common practice? Or if it's a disaster waiting to happen?

OOPs Got the 8 pounds but was thinking 5 gallons, finished not preboil.

Anyway, I would think that most weight limits stated would be on the low side not the high side due to the manufacturer not wanting to be sued. And, you are nowhere near the limit. You are actually less than 20% of the stated weight limit.

I have seen people sit on plastic top folding tables and they held the weight.

IMO, you should have no concerns whatsoever.

If you want to insulate the bottom half assed, just set it on a block of wood. Wood is a great insulator

Why not attach a 3/4 inch plywood table top with 3 inch edging and have it on a hinge to your garage wall.
?? It would fold down like ironing boards used to be stored. One set of legs or have two tables folding down and attached against the garage wall when not in use. Think like a camper in a small unit! Win - win

That table should be fine. It doesn’t break in the middle to fold and you have two long supports running down the middle. The top is very similar to any nsf food service table and should be strong enough. The only question will be the leg bracket strength. But with you working load I think you’ll be fine.

My brew stand top is similar and I have probably have 300-400 lbs on it during brew day.

OOPs Got the 8 pounds but was thinking 5 gallons, finished not preboil.

Anyway, I would think that most weight limits stated would be on the low side not the high side due to the manufacturer not wanting to be sued. And, you are nowhere near the limit. You are actually less than 20% of the stated weight limit.

I have seen people sit on plastic top folding tables and they held the weight.

IMO, you should have no concerns whatsoever.

That table should be fine. It doesn’t break in the middle to fold and you have two long supports running down the middle. The top is very similar to any nsf food service table and should be strong enough. The only question will be the leg bracket strength. But with you working load I think you’ll be fine.

My brew stand top is similar and I have probably have 300-400 lbs on it during brew day.

Thanks guys, I went ahead and got it ordered, it'll be here Saturday. Thanks for the input.

Why not attach a 3/4 inch plywood table top with 3 inch edging and have it on a hinge to your garage wall.
?? It would fold down like ironing boards used to be stored. One set of legs or have two tables folding down and attached against the garage wall when not in use. Think like a camper in a small unit! Win - win
I love this idea, and I'd totally go with it if I had the available wall space. I've got so much hung up already.

Back