Stable gravity but still bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximAvs

Reaction score
I've seen a ton of threads about "when should I bottle", so I didn't want to start another one unless I looked around. I haven't actually seen this one come up (I'm sure someone will prove me wrong), but here it goes.

I have been brewing a Hefeweizen. It was in the primary for 10 days, and then I moved it to a secondary. It's been in there for 7 days. When I moved the mixture to the secondary, I took a hydro reading (1.014). It still bubbles, very slowly (1 every 30 seconds), but does bubble. I decided to take another reading last night after the 7 days and it was still 1.014.

To me that means it's done fermenting (the same reading for 2 days). But why would it be still bubbling?!

Any ideas guys?!:confused:

Sean

ditto the above, plus it will expand in volume (headspace as well as beer) if it warms up

c02 coming out of solution would also be my gesss on the first question, and technically leaving a hefe in a secondary for a few days isnt going to really clarify it that much.
if you are bottling your beers, dont worry about it. bottle when you feel its ready.

Sounds like normal off-gassing to me.

Had one batch in the secondary for 3 months (due to just not getting around to bottling), and as I was about to pick up the carboy and set it up for the bottling process, I apparently bent down at just the right moment to see a bubble come out of the airlock.

Yeah, does sound like CO2 coming out of solution. However, I wouldn't trust a gravity reading over just two days myself. I usually take a reading, wait two days, take another, and maybe wait a couple more. I've had fermentation really slow down at the end, but that's a rare case.

Yeah, does sound like CO2 coming out of solution. However, I wouldn't trust a gravity reading over just two days myself. I usually take a reading, wait two days, take another, and maybe wait a couple more. I've had fermentation really slow down at the end, but that's a rare case.

Er, the readings appear to have been one week apart.

Yes the readings were one week apart. And I put my hefe in a secondary cause 1.I'm new to the home brew thing, and 2. The guy at my brew supply place said it's still good to put a hefe in a secondary cause you get it off that spent yeast.
Any way, thanks guys for the info!! I took another reading tonight and it was the same so I bottled it. Hopefully everything turns out. So far it tastes pretty good!!

Back