SSR Heat Sink Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
I have a 40 amp SSR and heat sink on the way, but I'm hoping that I won't have to use the big one that comes with it.

The SSR is a 40 amp one, but the 1500 Watt element it's controlling only draws between 11 and 12. Can I use a smaller heat sink from a PC or something, or should I stick with the stock one, which I don't think will be easy to mount in my control box enclosure?

So I found a nice heat sink from a Celeron chip, but I can't find my thermal grease anywhere. Is it vital that I use it for an SSR, or can I go without it.

Radio shack for the grease. I made a heatsink from a G5 Mac and it was severe overkill for the load on my RIMS tube. I've never felt it even getting warm.

Use a heatsink, get the grease at Radio Shack...

I have 20A running across 40A SSRs with heatsinks, they are INSIDE my control box, but I also have a 105 CFM cooling fan to pull air through. After 6 hours of running, the SSRs were cold...

I have 10 SSRs and heatsinks in there though, you may not need to move the air, test it and see...

P1030973.jpg

I was hesitant to buy some because I knew that I had some somewhere. The good news it that this forced me to clean up my bench a bit, and that I did find the stuff that I had. Thanks all!

So I found a nice heat sink from a Celeron chip, but I can't find my thermal grease anywhere. Is it vital that I use it for an SSR, or can I go without it.
Thermal grease is a Must ! Be sure both surfaces are clean & Flat,the apply Thermal grease evenly, .002" thick coating is best from all my research into it.

Back