SS Quick disconnects (yes, I searched)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHateMayonnaise

Reaction score
Hi there

First: I am looking for stainless, I know McMaster has Brass sets for $10. Second, I did search rather thoroughly before posting this.

I have a march pump and want to attach quick disconnects to both ends, at least temporarily (don't have a rig, the pump will just be sitting somewhere). I want the male plug to screw on to the pump itself, and the female disconnect part to be connected to a barb.

Austin homebrew has a set that will work, but they are threaded the wrong way. This guy has exactly what I want, but I don't know about the quality, durability, or compatibility (for instance, the quick disconnect portion he sells has few barbs, unlike those from other retailers, and am unsure if this part will fit if I get that part from somewhere else).

So my question: anyone know where I can get a set like these from somewhere else? None of the main beer retailers seem to have what I want, but have something close. Thanks,

IHateMayonnaise

Do a search on "camlocks," available from Bargain Fittings and Proflowdynamics. They've been discussed a lot, and Bobby_M has some good videos on youtube on them. I have them, and I like 'em. Not too spendy, either.

EDIT: Here they are on Proflowdynamics (which now seems to recognize that we're a target audience for them; they never used to reference homebrewing!) I only say to "do a search" not to be a prick, but because there IS a lot of good discussion on these already.

EDIT 2: Here's Bobby's video, he has some updates, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get what you want from McMaster all in Stainless. The first 2 pieces make up your hose end disconnect.

5361K42 $9.80

5350k82l.gif

6543K35 $40.42

item_highflow_6537k73.gif

6543K55 $19.16

item_highflow_6537k11.gif

+2 on the ProFlowDynamics! Full bore flow..no restriction and the $ is right.. I followed Bobbys video to a tee and all is well! No ugly hoseclamps needed. I was $100 in for camlocks, silicone tubing, 4 SS street 90's and a package of #210 O rings. JJ

So... which one of the types from proflodynamics should I get there seems to be a lot.

Also, and i know this is off topic a bit, but I am looking to get some full-bore high-flow barbs and so far the best source seems to be brewer's hardware at $10 a pop, which seems kinda high (this is for stainless of course). Anyone know of anything else?

Thanks again

Watch the video and map it out. You do not want to get the Female with the hose barbs. I'll sell you my old ones for cheap if you want to half-ass it. You need to get the threaded ones (Type B) and either grind those threads or attach the Street Elbows and grind the elbows.

Did this project this weekend an LOVE the improvement.

+1 for camlocks. You don't need to grind the 1/2 MPT threads to fit a 1/2 ID silicone hose. I didn't grind them and I have no leaks after threading my tubing all the way onto the male threads.

Also, proflow dynamics has a discount code which you can grab from www.homebrewfinds.com. It's for brewers so I feel it should be shared.

My thoughts are that the same effect can be accomplished with cheaper means if that's your goal. If that's not your goal and you just want simplicity, the wide ID barbs look fine but I could see that adding up quickly.

Functionally, I bet they'd seal without clamps unless they are bending sharply near the barb. As far as chances of detaching itself from the barb? I wouldn't bet on it, just judging from experience with other types of barbed fittings that have fewer or shallower barbs.

I don't know anywhere else to get something like that, but I haven't really looked.

So if you go full bore, does that negate all the concerns about matching the right male/female parts to the right inlet/outlet flow direction? Or is it still always more practical to have males on the hardware, females on the hoses?

Back