SS Clips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
I'm getting somewhat close to completing my eBIAB build, using a single keggle and a Bayou Classic basket, and am now starting on setting up the basket portion of the build...

I plan to at least 'start' brewing using the large paint strainer bags in the basket of the type found at Big Box Home centers, with a home made COFI tube made from 1/2" copper with small holes drilled in it and the wort recirculated to it from a bottom drain on the keggle...

I have been pondering methods to attach the bag to the basket, and one very simple yet elegant solution I've seen is to just use squeeze paper clips of the style shown below... But I am concerned with rust, etc..

Does anyone know of a source for Stainless Steel versions?
Or perhaps suggestions for a better method? Don't really want to hassle with a band clamp if possible...

paper clips.jpg

HA! Maybe I should have simplified my search terms..

I've never seen those before.. They're nice!
:mug:

Personally, I'd ditch the paint strainers and go for a good purpose-built bag. This is what I use. https://www.mashedin.beer/collectio...oducts/premium-custom-biab?variant=1120930813 Custom size and velcro strap to attach to pot. Mine has 4 straps for lifting, instead of a drawstring. I use a carabiner on my pulley. 100+ brews and it's starting to look ratty, but not ready for replacement yet! Postal issues will hopefully be resolved shortly. Canadian dollars for both cost and shipping at about US$0.77.
If you'd rather go the drawstring, go with Wilser. A little cheaper, US made (no postal strike issues) different shape and I've only heard good about them. http://biabbags.webs.com/
Edit - Just reread post and neither of these would really work well with the handle of the basket. Most of us don't bother with a basket, the bag pulls just fine without. To protect the bag from reheating issues, a false bottom made from a perforated pizza tray with bolts to keep it from the bottom works fine.

Last edited:
Best method I'm aware of is to place the basket in the kettle, then place the bag in the kettle and basket, and have the bag overlap the kettle rim and secure outside the kettle with a draw string and cord lock, or clips, 1/2" binder clips are typical.

Attaching a bag to the basket only can get cumbersome and difficult. Also, with the bag over lapping the kettle rim, the mash cannot spill over the basket and into the kettle.

When you're ready to remove the basket, just undo the bag from the kettle rim and place in the top of the basket to access the basket handle. You can then open the bag a bit and sparge through the basket if desired.

I've been down the clip route and feel the draw string w cord lock is easier and better.

As said above, if your not recirculating while applying heat, easiest and better approach IMO is to use a full size bag without the basket.

Edit ... Yo can skip a false bottom or "pizza pan" as well, you just need to stir constantly if or when you want to add heat.

Basic BIAB works very well with a little bit of practice, all you really need is a pot, a bag and a heat source. JMO of course.

Cheers!

Best method I'm aware of is to place the basket in the kettle, then place the bag in the kettle and basket, and have the bag overlap the kettle rim and secure outside the kettle with a draw string and cord lock.

I do this with a bungie cord that fits around my kettle nice and firm. Easy and quick to put on and remove.

Back