SS Chronical temperature control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
I am testing out my new chronical with water to see how it holds temp in my unheated garage. In the graph red is ambient, pink is a probe stuck between the neoprene jacket and the chronical, blue is in the temp port on the chronical, and green is a chest freezer that is going from 65 to 33 for the octoberfest and is not relevant to this question.

My temp control was at 63, changed to 62 as seen in the drop in the middle of the blue graph. My question is should I be concerned about the 5 degree gap from the inside to the outside? Should I set the temp control slightly below what I really want. The probe is on the outside of the tank so it's probably not exactly what the inside is but I suspect there is a gradient from the center to the outside of at least 2 to 3 degrees. Does that much matter?

Capture.jpg

Insulate the exterior temp probe from the ambient air some more adn retest. I'd bet it is reading more ambient than you expect...

I wish my ambient was that low.. must be nice!

Back