SS Brewtech vs Spike - 7 Gallon Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been biding my time on the upgrade to a conical. I am committed and comfortable with doing 5 gallon batches and so am looking at 7 gallon conicals. The fever started about a year ago when Spike announced the CF5. I saw the unit at Homebrew Con last summer, which looked great, and they finally started shipping a few months ago. I was all set on my choice of a Spike CF5. I had developed a few reservations as Spike seems prone to announcing and then putting off the release of products. I had grown comfortable with that, thinking that it was them making sure they got things in order before they started shipping.

I had originally investigated the SS Brewtech Brewmaster 7 gallon. I was a little put off by the weld-less fittings.

Then I started following this thread. One of our fellow members (not the OP) got a unit that was not what I consider quality workmanship. The apparent resolution options provided by Spike have me rethinking my decision.

I took another look at SS Brewtech and was pleasantly surprised to see that their 7 gallon unitank has all welded fittings and comes with a ton of accessories that I was going to buy for the Spike unit. This gets things to the point where my price would be virtually the same $899 vs $860. I would gladly pay $40 more if I feel good about the product, the company and their service.

I'm looking for input from the community here on these two products and experiences with the companies. Your information is much appreciated. I should be able to take on the change from carboys to conical in the next couple months.

I have the cf5 and its definitely super high quality and awesome to use. All the questions I asked before purchasing were answered quickly as well. My experience with spike has been awesome!

I don't think you can really go wrong with either products.

I’ve got the larger versions of both, and from what I have spike is a clear winner. Mine came in perfect, all the welds looked good no scratching. So did the Brewtech Bme, but I did need to get buy some washers to get the sampling ports and some of the other weldless fittings to hold properly. I would get another spike over another BME. Haven’t seen enough videos about the SS unitank to pick that one up yet.

I have an SS Brewtech 1/2 Barrel Chronical and it has been awesome. The only thing I'd like to be different is the weldless fittings and perhaps have it be a bit more tolerant to pressure.

The Unitank does look to solve those things which is pretty exciting. However, one thing that catches my eyes is that the Unitank design looks to almost require CIP. Perhaps you can get your arm in there enough for cleaning since it does look to have a larger top port. I have used CIP with mixed results on my Chronical and have recently decided its much easier and faster to just use elbow grease and a sponge.

For the Spike Conicals, their design lets you remove the top which would make cleaning easier in my opinion. I've been keeping an eye on them and they look well designed. I couldnt be happier with my Spike kettles and I think they provide quality equipment. I have read that post you reference and it sounds like there may be some QC problems. I'm sure they will eventually resolve them!

I also dont think you can go wrong with either. Looking at the Unitank does make me waffle too but I think ease of cleaning would be a factor for me if faced with this decision.

I have read that post you reference and it sounds like there may be some QC problems. I'm sure they will eventually resolve them!

I also dont think you can go wrong with either. Looking at the Unitank does make me waffle too but I think ease of cleaning would be a factor for me if faced with this decision.

Yeah, the thing that gave me pause was not that they had a quality issue, it’s that they didn’t hold the customer harmless when they did.

Cleaning is an issue to be considered for sure. Since I’m planning on the 7 gallon model I’m thinking getting my arm in there shouldn’t be too much of an issue to reach. Regardless I’m hoping it is no worse or better than carboys.

I have products from both companies. Both are nice. I think Spike is higher quality; thicker material and better welds (done in the USA). Like Spike mentioned in the post you referenced they do 100% inspection on products and to me it shows when the products are side by side. I believe the guy complaining was overreacting. I mean some small marks on the lop of the lip and he busts out a complete polishing kit to 2000 grit lol. Buy Spike; you won't be disappointed!

Back