SS Brewtech Chronical fermenter Brewmaster Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John67

John
Reaction score
Hello brewers,

I want to buy a CCT. I saw the Brewtech Chronical fermenter and the Brewtech Chronical fermenter Brewmaster Edition. Can an owner tell me if he or she is satisfied with this model or should you buy an other brand/model?

Thank you for your input.

John
Nuenen
Holland

Last edited:
I have both in the 14 gal version. If I had it to do over i would have all BME. The reason is that I really like the sampling port in the BME and I like the 3 inch TC port on the top instead of the 1.5 TC port.
As far ss conical's I have been satisfied my only complaint is the leg extensions don't fit real straight. I have some spike equipment and they are a good company but your are going to pay a little more for them.

I have both in the 14 gal version. If I had it to do over i would have all BME. The reason is that I really like the sampling port in the BME and I like the 3 inch TC port on the top instead of the 1.5 TC port.
As far ss conical's I have been satisfied my only complaint is the leg extensions don't fit real straight. I have some spike equipment and they are a good company but your are going to pay a little more for them.

If you can afford it, go with a Unitank, regardless of which brand you decide. I started out with a Chronical, then through numerous upgrades got it to "BME" status, then decided I really wanted more pressurization capability than just 2 psi. Plus the Unitank's construction is more robust than the Chronical series.

I'm still very happy with the Chronical, and it still does everything I bought it for extremely well. But the fact of the matter is that it mostly sits idle while I mostly ferment in the Unitank. The Chronical is a great piece of gear, though I honestly don't use it much anymore unless I have more than one batch fermenting. Lagers are done exclusively in the Unitank. Ales (simultaneous fermentations) can get mostly fermented in the Chronical, then transferred under 2 psi pressure to a keg to spund out and carbonate, followed by conditioning in the beer fridge. So I'm not wasting my investment in the Chronical, but my go to is definitely the Unitank.

Brooo Brother

Currently have the Chronical BME and its been fantastic. If you pair it with FTSS2 and a glycol chiller, its a set it and forget it system. I personally didnt see any advantages to moving to a unitank as i brew 5 gallons so i dont have to worry about trying to carbonate multiple kegs worth of beer at once. I just ferment in the chronical, pressure closed transfer to keg, and burst carbonate in my keezer. If you're brewing larger than 5 gallons, a unitank will allow you to pressure ferment (i personally think its benefits are anecdotal, but thats just me), but more importantly you can carbonate using a spunding valve or carb stone, so your beer is precarbonated and ready for kegs. Avoids the need for a brite tank

+1 to that. I have BME and really look forward to Unitank upgrade for higher pressure, spunding, etc. Still, you cant go wrong with BME. I love it.
If you can afford it, go with a Unitank, regardless of which brand you decide. I started out with a Chronical, then through numerous upgrades got it to "BME" status, then decided I really wanted more pressurization capability than just 2 psi. Plus the Unitank's construction is more robust than the Chronical series.

I'm still very happy with the Chronical, and it still does everything I bought it for extremely well. But the fact of the matter is that it mostly sits idle while I mostly ferment in the Unitank. The Chronical is a great piece of gear, though I honestly don't use it much anymore unless I have more than one batch fermenting. Lagers are done exclusively in the Unitank. Ales (simultaneous fermentations) can get mostly fermented in the Chronical, then transferred under 2 psi pressure to a keg to spund out and carbonate, followed by conditioning in the beer fridge. So I'm not wasting my investment in the Chronical, but my go to is definitely the Unitank.

Brooo Brother

i have 2 7 gal chronical bme's and a 14 gal unitank. honestly i prefer using the chronicals - easier to clean, for one. i did have to "modify" the chilling coils by bending them a bit because my dry hops were always getting caught on the coils. i'm still working out my process with the unitank, but i feel that i'm oxygenating more in that tank when dry hopping - it's more difficult to purge any oxygen that was introduced during drop hopping due to the locations of the dry hop port vs the blow off port. spunding and carbing were features i thought i would use, but spunding seems more usable for lagers which i don't generally brew, and i "age" everything in kegs for at least 5 days anyway which is plenty of time to simultaneously carb, so..

I have two 7 gallon chronicals with FTS2 systems and a glycol chiller and love them. I didn't get the BME versions for fear that the weldless coil location could leak, but I have never heard of anyone complain about that and have never had a leak in my weldless thermowells.

I have the SS Brewtech Chronical Fermenter 14 gal. Purchased Brewmaster Edition. Fits nicely in the refrigerator.

Still have to make a "floor" to distribute the weight of the four legs and install heating. I don't know yet how I will do the latter because of the limited space.

I read several ways to clean the boiler for the first time. Anyone have an idea how that is best?

foto koeler CCT.jpg

Last edited:
I have the SS Brewtech Chronical Fermenter 14 gal. Purchased Brewmaster Edition. Fits nicely in the refrigerator.

Still have to make a "floor" to distribute the weight of the four legs and install heating. I don't know yet how I will do the latter because of the limited space.

I read several ways to clean the boiler for the first time. Anyone have an idea how that is best?

View attachment 673286

Now that is SWEET. I've got a serious case of Refrigerator Envy. Where'd you get that beauty? I WANT one!

Brooo Brother

@Brooothru:
Right, looking good eh! I bought the refrigerator privately. Is actually to present cakes in. The disadvantage is that it makes more noise than I expected. Maybe make something up (replace existing fan with others?). Must also make heating in it, but there is little space for it. The brand is Saro type Sven (330-1036).

@pvpeacock:
The intention is to pump the wort to the kettle.

Currently have the Chronical BME and its been fantastic. If you pair it with FTSS2 and a glycol chiller, its a set it and forget it system. I personally didnt see any advantages to moving to a unitank as i brew 5 gallons so i dont have to worry about trying to carbonate multiple kegs worth of beer at once. I just ferment in the chronical, pressure closed transfer to keg, and burst carbonate in my keezer. If you're brewing larger than 5 gallons, a unitank will allow you to pressure ferment (i personally think its benefits are anecdotal, but thats just me), but more importantly you can carbonate using a spunding valve or carb stone, so your beer is precarbonated and ready for kegs. Avoids the need for a brite tank

Can you use the carb stone with the BME? Would the max pressure of 1-1.5 psi release the CO2 you're pumping into it?

Can you use the carb stone with the BME? Would the max pressure of 1-1.5 psi release the CO2 you're pumping into it?
Carb stone is for dissolving co2 into your beer to carbonate. You cant carbonate in a BME. Its only rated to a max of 2-3psi. You have to ferment in the BME, then transfer to a brite tank or keg to carbonate. Or buy a unitank, which holds a much higher pressure, allowing you to carbonate through a carb stone, or the spunding valve to naturally carbonate

If anyone has a 14g SS Chronical BME in good shape and is looking to upgrade, please DM me as I’m looking to buy an additional. I love the first one other than I can only pressurize inly a couple pounds, it is enough for my transfers and cold crashing. preferably with heat and chill accessories

thanks.

Back