Ss Brewing or MegaPot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spludge

Reaction score
Hey all, question for the brain trust that is HBT.

Going to buy a 20 gallon boil kettle for 10G batches, wondering which one to buy. I've been researching, but wanted to hear from people first hand.

Megapot 1.2

Ss Brewing

Anyone have strong preference for either? I am leaning towards Ss simply because comes with the pickup tube/ trub dam and 3 piece valve. Both are tri-clad bottoms and will end up about $400 (shipped to Alaska), so not sure if any other differences to consider. Maybe one is a lot thicker than the other? Megapot says wall thickness is 1 mm, not sure on Ss.

Any insight very appreciated!

Not to throw a monkey wrench in the gears, but have you looked at spikebrewing.com? I was in the same boat as you (although I went 15gal) a month or so ago and ended up with a Spike. Great pot! It isn't tri-clad, but honestly I'm doing full boil 10gal all grain batches in it and haven't had any issues with scorching. If you're planning to mash in it, I could see tri-clad being important for the even heat distribution. My main concern was getting welded couplers. The last thing I wanted was an o-ring to go in the middle of a boil.

That said, I do have an SSbrewtech 7gal chronical and it rocks, very high quality and super functional, so I'm guessing their kettles are pretty sweet too. The trub dam on the kettle is intriguing and might help keep your wort nice and clear, although with a good whirlpool (I stir my Spike like crazy) and some time to allow it to settle I don't have issues picking up trub when I'm filling the fermenters.

Best of luck with the purchase, and let us know how the first batch goes!

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses :mug:

Won't be mashing in it, so the tri-clad probably isn't as important. I was actually interested in Spike, but when I contacted them they told me they won't ship to Alaska.

Bummer. Well in that case, I'd probably go with the SS if for no other reason than I've been really happy with their fermenter. So there you go a vote for each. :)

I you do go with SS, I'm definitely interested in how well the trub dam works...

Cheers.

I was in the same boat a year ago. I ended up buy a Concorde SS pot off Ebay and had a local shop do the welding for me. If you don't want to go that route I would absolute go with Spikebrewing or the Megapot. I ended up with a 20 gallon pot for my 10 gallon brews. I saved maybe $100 bucks going at it my way.

Im in the exact same boat now.Just getting into brewing and am after a 10g pot. Ill be curious to see what the verdict is.

Buy the kettle that is made by being drawn not welded together. If no difference check out HBT reviews.
I have all Update International kettles. Great quality!

I don't think you can go wrong to be honest. I recently got a ss brew tech and love it. The trub damn seems to work fine but not sure how much it actually matters. the lid hangs on the handle which is nice, customer survice is also very good with ss brew tech. But I have heard good things about the mega pot.

I had the same question, but added bru-gear to the list:D. I ended up going with ssbrewtech because it came with everything I wanted(pickup tube). I think all of the pots are very high quality and haven't seen any negative reviews.

I've only used it twice, and never got a good true cone with any batch I've made with any pot so I can't really comment on the trub dam

I've been waiting 2 weeks for my megapot. Shipped once, false bottom didn't fit, and sent 2 different kettles for the all grain setup. Bummed out, I had it packed up in 30 minutes for a return.

The only reason I chose megapots over ss brew tech was a 20% off coupon code with northern brewer.

I like what ssbrewtech is doing with their equipment. That new mash tun looks slick. If my setup doesn't ship today, I am asking for a refund. I will more than happily spend my money elsewhere now.

I just got this from NB

"Thanks for taking my call earlier. I spoke with my product guys and there is a concern that we can get you brewing happily with the 15 gallon system. Of all the sizes of our kettle systems, the 15 has the tightest fitting false bottom.

My proposal is to do a brew upgrade, but we need to make sure it works for you. How about we send you the 20 gallon system for the same price you paid? We will make sure that the two kettles are the same version and that the false bottoms are nice and snug as they should be (but not too tight)."

This is soooo tempting. Keep in mind I got 20% off the 15 gallon system originally. I primarily brew 5 gallon batches though. I think it would be overkill for my needs. At least they are attempting to make it right.

Minutes ago I received this email response...

"I understand your position.
We will get it refunded.

I would still like to make right on the poor performance. I see you create your own recipes, but I would like to send you an All-Grain kit of our newest kits.
Would something like Off the Topper, Plinian, or Storm The Bastille (or any other kit) peak your brewing curiosity?"

I would consider this going overboard to take care of me. Wow.

I can't speak to the Megapot, but I recently picked up a SS kettle and chronical fermenter with temp control. A far as I'm concerned, SS Brewtech has a new customer for life. I'm in love with my new gear.

2 SS Brewtech Kettles and a false bottom ordered Friday afternoon. I've been in contact with a couple of guys at Ss Brewtech in recent weeks. Mitch has been really helpful this far. I had a few questions pertaining to the etchings on larger kettles (adding lower markings soon), a whirlpool return (in the works), and a Sparge arm. I am encouraged by what they've put out already. I can't wait to see the mash tun, and other future products.

Sorry if missed it, but are the outlets welded on the SS or are they weldless?

I have no experience with the SS pot but I'm sure based on the rave reviews it is a great product.

I got a 10 gallon Megapot 1.2. (it could hold 11 gallons). I BIAB and have had no problems with scorching grains or burning the bag although I place a cooling rack on the bottom prior to the mash. Secured Bag.jpgCooling Rack.jpg

The The Megapot from NB came with a thermometer and two piece valve with 1/2" barb. I repurposed this as a dip tubedip tube 2.jpg

The pot also comes marked in 1 gallon increments which is useful but 1/4 gallon marks enable more accurate volume measures.Volume Marks.jpg

My Vote: Megapot. I am pleased with its performance

so is the megapot

No thanks to that one too.

Why not consider welded Morebeer kettles? Is there a major cost difference that justifies the extra cleaning? Cleaning valves every now and then is bad enough for me.

I didn't want a short and wide kettle. I had a welded keggle before this. The only way I'd want my stuff welded now, is if it were tri clover fittings. BruGear pots are welded tried clover, but I went with SSBrewtech due to customer service and online reviews. Also, they are continually coming out with interesting new products.

Also, how much cleaning are you really worried about on the hot side? They are simple to pull apart and soak (or boil) if you feel the need. A 1/2 coupler and threads is easier to clean separate if you ask me. Also, it's easily replaceable, and cheap. Just my thoughts.

Following this thread now as I'm in the process of buying a new kettle. Right now I'd probably go with the Megapot simply because northern brewer offers the 20% coupon from time to time. Here's my question.

Is it worth the extra $50 to get the kettle with a thermometer? I use a thermometer at about the last 5 minutes of chilling so I know when it's at temp. Otherwise since I won't be using it as a mash tun then I can't see needing the thermometer. Anyone agree?

Boil thermo is cool because you can see when boil is about to start....good if you're like me doing 14.5 gal boils in a 15 gal kettle.

If you're going weldless I'd consider Bayou Classic pots. Their 20 gallon pots are dirt cheap ($114 on amazon right now) and you can drill and make the pot exactly how you want it. I've done 5 gallon and 10 gallon extract batches and haven't had any problems. I'm moving up to all grain in a month and eventually I'm going to build a kal clone set up with the Bayou's. If I end up switching them out for something else then so be it.

But unless I'm missing something I don't see any point in spending the same amount for one pot that I can for three Bayou 20 gallon pots. Granted you have to do the work yourself. But as I said then you can make it exactly the way you want them.

Old thread I know. Wondering if anyone has more thoughts on this? I’m torn between the two kettles.

Are the Spike kettles out of your price budget?

Rev.

Not necessarily but they are a bit higher when Northern Brewer has 20% off and free shipping. The mega and SS also come with ball valve and dip tube including the price

Not necessarily but they are a bit higher when Northern Brewer has 20% off and free shipping. The mega and SS also come with ball valve and dip tube including the price

An old adage comes to mind; You get what you pay for. Get the Spike. It's on a higher level than any other kettles out there IMO. You will not be disappointed.

The only thing I don't like in my SSB kettle is the trub dam. It's way too small and even with a good whirlpool you'll end up picking up some trub at the end. One thing to consider if that's the deciding factor for your.

Back