SS Braid- Do's and Do-not-do's.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
DO enjoy SS braids- I think they are practical and rock.

DO NOT Stir the mash in such a fashion as to pull the braid tight- which gives you one hell of a stuck mash. :mad:

I was quite confused as why I was Just about unable to drain off my runnings until after the fact. I had thought that maybe I had grain crushed in such a manor as to allow for an easy clogging or something. But then when I had literally Milked the braid to get what I needed- I saw that it was pulled super tight and did not recoil itself in the least bit.
Yup. So... those of us out there using SS braids can now be mindful to Not do that.
(sigh.............)

At least that was the only issue with the batch. It's bubbling away like a champ now.

My first AG batch I did the exact same thing. Had to dump the whole cooler into a bucket to reverse the stuck drain off. Try zip tying your ss braid into a circle at the front of your MLT. Helps keep it out of the way so you can stir with out snaging it an pulling it tight.

I use a mortar mixer chucked in my cordless drill to mix between batch sparges. I'm normally very careful but this is a duty I can hand off to an onlooker while setting up the boil or starting the second batch of sparge water on the burner. The last time I did that, the mixer blade caught the braid at the end and wound it about 12 times around the shaft before pulling it off the barbed adapter. Had to dump the mash into a holding pot, clean out the valve and braid then reattach. Messy business but live and learn

I just set up my mash tun with a SS braid and the braid smells very "tinny" or metallic. Is there any sort of conditioning that can be done to make sure the metallic flavor doesn't get passed on to the beer?

I wonder if it has to do with the diameter of the SS braid....

I made my MLT with a SS braid from a hot water heater line. It's 2" in diameter. Never had a stuck sparge.

The other hazard has happened to me: flattening/poking it with my brew spoon. I just bend it back to shape by hand. So far so good.

Are you guys putting the SS braid over a piece of tubing with notches cut in it? I've never had it pulled too tight or a stuck sparge.

Mike

Are you guys putting the SS braid over a piece of tubing with notches cut in it? I've never had it pulled too tight or a stuck sparge.

Mike

Thats what i got. I ALMOST screwed up when i bought a non-SS braid (polymer from HD), thank goodness for Lowes :rockin:

DO NOT slam the lid of your cooler while the braid is hanging out over - did this while cleaning.

I got fed up with the braid not laying on the bottom of the cooler after stirring. Ended up swapping out for a false bottom and I'm super happy with the results. Takes a bit more time on the vorlauf but I don't have to worry about the dead space varying anymore.

Back