Ss 1/5 chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Cant find the older thread about the Ss 1/5 hp glycol chiller not cooling low enough with the unitank, feel free to link this to that post if someone else finds it.

My chiller hasn't had any problem cooling my unitank to 35 degrees. This was my first cold crash.

... pardon the mess

Attachments

• 15821569492124647115079901576347.jpg
    15821569492124647115079901576347.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
Could you give some general thoughts on your chiller in terms of noise and how often the chiller turns on?

I'll be able to answer that question better over the next few days. I just finished up a lager, fermenting now. When I did my IPA, I never noticed the chiller running. My setup is down stairs. I know it ran, i just couldn't notice it. When i know it's running and I'm paying attention, I can hear it from upstairs.

When it does run, it's not on for long at all. It chills quickly.

Could you give some general thoughts on your chiller in terms of noise and how often the chiller turns on?

So similar to last time, I know the chiller has run at some point. I just haven't walked in on it while it was running. My wife says she notices it running sometimes, but just when she's down stairs working. Only my second batch with it, but I am very satisfied.

On another note, I also had a DIY chiller before that also performed great. It ran more than the Ss. It cooled just as good though, it could easily maintain 35 degrees too. My shoddy work made it look like a fire hazard, and I've got young kids. I was always worried about getting a pin hole in the tubing causing a leak. The Ss is more about piece of mind for me. Kinda like moving away from a glass carboy. You know its going to break, but when?

My chiller along with my home brewery is in the garage. I have been out there while it kicks on. It is not noisy to the point where it is hard to hear conversation, or even concentrate on something which requires my attention. It sounds to me like a small refrigerator when it runs. Maybe a cheaper mini fridge, but not bad.

Chilling capacity seems good. There have been comments about its BTU rating being lower than other chillers, but as the glycol is circulated to absorb the heat from the wort, it does not have a problem with maintaining the glycol temp. I'm only using it on two 7 gallon Ss Brewtech unitanks, so it doesn't need to cool much wort.

Thanks for the great comments! Definitely gives me a better idea of the noise level.

There was actually an interesting comparison between all the homebrew glycol systems in the latest issue of BYO: https://byo.com/article/homebrew-glycol-system-comparison/

But they didn't go into detail about noise levels.

I was first thinking of converting a beer line cooler like the Lindr AS 40 which can be found here in Europe for 400-500 euro, but living in an apartment, the ss brewtech glycol chiller just looks more convenient and compact. Still don't know if it justifies the extra 400 euros though. :)

I'm really happy with my ss brewtech glycol chiller (1/5hp). I have it in a garage with two 14 gal Conical's. The sound is similar to my cheap garage fridge. I wouldn't put it in my bedroom but other places would be fine.

I struggled with the price a little but I wanted the compact design and maximum glycol chamber space. it also looks cool.

Back